Brake job - what are the options ?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I got a quote for replacing the front wheel brake pads and rotors for $400 for a Honda Accord.

I would like to have a second opinion and look for free brake inspection centers like Mieneke. The dealer may charge more. Is going to Sears auto center a good idea? I get mixed reviews near my area. My idea is use a Sears gift card that I bought for a discount.

Thoughts?

Therivler1

Level 2 Member
craigslist.

parts should be $100-150. dude on craigslist would be $50.

brakes are really easy to do yourself also.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I used to work on cars and I can tell you, unless the rotors are made much better than before - $100 for both front rotors on Hondas will warp very shortly. Best to get high quality rotors or OE rotors. The pads are not quite as critical but each compound has different compromises.

$400 total for a Honda brake job with OE rotors is not bad from a shop but it's up to you. Like many things in life, you need to have somebody you trust to work on your car.

Last edited:

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Sears, good heavens, NO! They are famous, across the country, for slipshod work that led to serious accidents, as well as just plain old slipshod work.

Differentplanet

Level 2 Member
You change rotors for two reasons (i) warped or (ii) too worn. How to check & measure your brake rotors / discs

As indicated by Therivler1, changing breaks is one of the easiest things you can do to a car and you feel as if you've accomplished something when you're done. Just search youtube for your model and change breaks.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
You change rotors for two reasons (i) warped or (ii) too worn. How to check & measure your brake rotors / discs

As indicated by Therivler1, changing breaks is one of the easiest things you can do to a car and you feel as if you've accomplished something when you're done. Just search youtube for your model and change breaks.
Thanks. I am now inspired to DIY project. I will check them out!

craigslist.

parts should be $100-150. dude on craigslist would be $50.

brakes are really easy to do yourself also.
Didn't think of CL. Thanks.

I used to work on cars and I can tell you, unless the rotors are made much better than before - $100 for both front rotors on Hondas will warp very shortly. Best to get high quality rotors or OE rotors. The pads are not quite as critical but each compound has different compromises.

$400 total for a Honda brake job with OE rotors is not bad from a shop but it's up to you. Like many things in life, you need to have somebody you trust to work on your car.
Yes, I need reliable brakes. And hopefully that lasts long depending on my usage. Will shop for OE. Firestone gave me a quote of $345. I will have to check what material they have for rotors.

Sears, good heavens, NO! They are famous, across the country, for slipshod work that led to serious accidents, as well as just plain old slipshod work.
Ha ha! I was hoping to load Sears card and get 5% off. OK....no Sears then....

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Here is the quote from Firestone:

1. QC914 Ceramic Disc brake pads PD914 = $170
2. Front brake rotors - 31257 Brake rotor = $152
3. Rest of the charge is labor.

When I look up for parts online, I found them in both Advance auto parts and Amazon. They are cheap in the stores. Do you recommend that I buy from them and hand it over to Firestone or dealer? I haven't bought auto parts from Amazon.

Can anybody chime in? Thanks!

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Knowing auto parts pricing through the last two decades, those pads look pricey and not OE Honda pads. Call the dealer for OE pads and I'm betting they're less. On the other hand, the rotors look cheaper than Honda's.

Some shops will charge you different labor rates if you bring in your own parts. Shops make money off both parts and labor. Shop overhead is large and killing the small biz owners.

Last edited:

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Knowing auto parts pricing through the last two decades, those pads look pricey and not OE Honda pads. Call the dealer for OE pads and I'm betting they're less. On the other hand, the rotors look cheaper than Honda's.

Some shops will charge you different labor rates if you bring in your own parts. Shops make money off both parts and labor. Shop overhead is large and killing the small biz owners.
Thanks. On a second look, the quote states that the brake pads are $60, but the total price listed is $170 that includes labor.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Thanks. On a second look, the quote states that the brake pads are $60, but the total price listed is $170 that includes labor.
Yeah, that sounds more like it for aftermarket pad pricing. I'm sorry I don't have experience with those rotor and pad brands.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Yeah, that sounds more like it for aftermarket pad pricing. I'm sorry I don't have experience with those rotor and pad brands.
OK. The dealer is charging $60 for brake inspection. I see Mieneke has free brake inspections. Thinking to get a 2nd opinion and get this fixed.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Hey all,

I use my car for daily commute in a residential area (more stop and go). I get on a highway only on the weekends. I live in very cold conditions as well.

So what type of brake pads are preferable? semi-metallic or ceramic or organic?

I checked with firestone, Meineke and dealer. They don't install customer parts. Period.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
OK. I finally got my brakes done. Front pads and resurfacing rotors. Go this done with the dealer itself. Cost me $150 after price matching with another dealer service special coupon.

I find this an OK deal compared to $220 for replacing pads and resurfacing the rotors. Replacing both pads and rotors would cost me > $350.

Thanks for the responses. Helped me to research more.