Bows and arrows?

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
Hi all.

One thing I would very much like to see here is some quality Circles & Arrows posts ...
on utterly dead deals.

Obviously there's an abundant source of these (e.g., everything on MMS that is a month old, minus multiparts and affiliate links) but I'd very much like to see the post mortem point of view rather than an auxilium ad caedem. Anyone with a "where's my CSP? I don't need to read anything further" attitude will probably find little to no value in this, but IMHO these are the best resource for a newbie who wants to learn.

It doesn't have to be as epic as pudding or coins, but putting things such as US not collecting YQ on BA upon entering OW in the context of more than just "hurry up, deal time" should make one think along the lines of whenever there's a big change, see what slipped through the cracks.

A skypeso for your thoughts.

R.

AIM

Level 2 Member
I do think this is a good way to understand the principles behind where and how opportunities arise so that people can be on the lookout for future opportunities (and avoid the previous pitfalls).

John

Level 2 Member
I know everyone knocks the circle and arrows thing but there are many people out there who are visual learners and that is how they best process information. Should those of us who do not have the same need for visual learning marginalize the many out there who appreciate those visual learning cues from MMS and others? This is not directed to anyone in particular but I have seen many comments putting down that system (on blogs, FT etc) and by association the people who find it useful. Just food for thought.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I know everyone knocks the circle and arrows thing but there are many people out there who are visual learners and that is how they best process information. Should those of us who do not have the same need for visual learning marginalize the many out there who appreciate those visual learning cues from MMS and others? This is not directed to anyone in particular but I have seen many comments putting down that system (on blogs, FT etc) and by association the people who find it useful. Just food for thought.
I think everyone agrees that Circles and Arrows are fantastic ways to learn. The concern is that if you oversimplify a single technique without a little 'grounding' on a largely read public blog then you are launching out waves of very erratic people who grasp bits and pieces of the trick being spoonfed to them, but not how to handle when things go wrong.

I am perfectly happy with having circles and arrows in this site too, but I do also want to make sure that we are cultivating a generation of 'players' that are capable of handling things correctly.

John

Level 2 Member
I think everyone agrees that Circles and Arrows are fantastic ways to learn. The concern is that if you oversimplify a single technique without a little 'grounding' on a largely read public blog then you are launching out waves of very erratic people who grasp bits and pieces of the trick being spoonfed to them, but not how to handle when things go wrong.

I am perfectly happy with having circles and arrows in this site too, but I do also want to make sure that we are cultivating a generation of 'players' that are capable of handling things correctly.
I agree with he philosophy that give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. There are always going to be people who get in "over their head" regardless of the teaching tool.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
I agree with he philosophy that give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. There are always going to be people who get in "over their head" regardless of the teaching tool.
And these are exactly the people who go to CVS and say "Even though it says 'cash only', can I pay with my rewards-earning credit card?" or "I want to buy one vanillas. How much can I do with my $1,000 AmEx gift card?"

Circles and arrows for me is any step-by-step guide, not just the visual ones. It's not that everybody must read 900+ pages on FT before attempting anything, but circles and arrows promote thoughtless actions. I'm all for very detailed FAQs (when does the load limit reset? how to set PINs efficiently? etc.) though.