• Yes, I'd be willing to sponsor my Projects

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading this thread by @CWAL about how they approach gift card organization and use.

https://saverocity.com/forum/threads/churning-organization-lets-get-physical-with-pictures.520938/#post-650442

The reason for the system outlined there is that the electronic system became too convoluted when purchases increased.

Agree with it or not is a different (yet relevant) discussion, but the important thing I wanted to look at was finding what might be the 'best' way to handle something like this. And from there, assigning a 'bounty' to delivering a solution. The solution could then be stored here as a Resource for the benefit of the community.

Calling Project Managers

What components are important when designing a solution? Can we create a systematic approach to this. To me, I think that the project needs to be taken to a certain level before being sent out to bounty for delivery.

Possible Process
  • Problem/Need explained via post. Polling attached to post to see if there is demand for this to be a bounty.
  • Project discussed within post.
  • Best solution selected, author of best solution gets option to write up the solution as a resource. If they don't want to/have time another person can. Walkthroughs should have images and charts as necessary to make it useful.
  • If solution requires coding or automation tools to execute a bounty will be assigned to the development of it, or the well outlined process of how to automate within IFTTT or Zapier etc.
  • A thread becomes a 'Bounty' when agreed upon and assigned such a title, we then see if we can make it happen.
  • A bounty becomes payable when the product is released here as a resource and people agree it does the job within the scope of the defined project.
Sample Project
Looking at the giftcard process outlined in the link above, I'd want to start with a discussion about whether it is necessary to actually keep these things. What purpose does it serve, why are records important, are they for internal process or might they be called upon by an external investigation if things look weird, etc.

Once we 'understand' what is going on, and create a list of reasons that must be addressed, that is when we could create a bounty. For example, is there a way that you could snap a photo of the giftcard that would create an automated listing within a spreadsheet, that included the date of the photo, the amount of the transaction, the location of the giftcard purchase, and other things?

To test if that would work, we would have to do something like 'lose' a giftcard. What happens if I have a photo of GC1 and call in to say I lost it, or I need a replacement.. will the number suffice, does it require the number on the back too? Does GC2 (different vendor) work the same way?

It would be pretty cool if we could crowd source a solution for things that CYA better, and then use the skills of people here to create something that helps us all spend less time faffing about and more efficient.

Amount of Bounty
I think the bounty should fit the need. If it is an IFTTT solution (the GC Project solution might be an IFTTT solution) then the bounty should be less than if it is a custom built solution. Depending on how much each bounty is, I might be able to cover the amount myself, but if higher, perhaps we create a 'pool' of funds to kickstarter it. Money to be collect pre project and paid out when approved by the donees.
  • What amount makes sense? I want it to be something that is a 'thank you' for the person, but perhaps not up to their full hourly rate.
  • Also, we could consider farming out complex coding if people here are too busy, and hire Freelancer or Odesk people to execute a solution for us.
Give me your thoughts please - I think this could add a lot of value to the members here.

Cytraveler

Level 2 Member
I like it.

Would this be available to anyone visiting the site, or just folks who contributed in-kind or with $$? I could see both applying, depending upon how involved the solution is (e.g. custom programming maybe not available to everyone, but a simpler solution would be) or the nature of the issue (e.g. something that is a more involved MS/Level 2 kind of thing may have restrictions, like being available only on Level 2, or possibly even more restricted).

I'm probably being obtuse, but on the poll, why can't you pick both? Do the questions mean Yes, I'd be willing to contribute time, and Yes, I'd be willing to contribute money? If so, what if you'd be willing to do a little of both, at least in theory?

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
I like the idea. I'd also like to propose a project: Managing Credit Card Churning. Right now I keep track of all current/historical accounts in a spreadsheet, but I manage a lot of the periphery stuff either through memory or through Evernote (basically 'Notepad' with persistence across multiple devices). Just brainstorming very quickly, here's some things that a CC Churning 'App'/system would keep track of for me:

• Things I track in my spreadsheet
    • CC Account Details - Primary Account Holder (self/wife), Last 4/5 digits, username for Card Issuer (I probably would never trust anyone else or any web-based service with that piece of information)
    • Dates: Application Date, Issue Date, Anniversary Date, Date Sign Up Bonus was paid, Account Cancellation Date, Statement Close Date, Payment Due Date
    • Sign Up Bonus: Amount of Bonus, Minimum Spend, Due Date, Progress Made ($x of y$ on date X), Bonus Paid (yes/no)
    • Misc Details: Credit Line, Issuer, Card Type (CSP, Freedom, etc), Bonus Categories
    • Long Term Plan: Keep after 1st year, and if so, why? Annual Fee amount and Due Date, Annual Bonuses
  • Things I track by memory or in evernote
    • Application history - Every credit application I make, including those that may be denied (THANKS A LOT chase 5/24!)
    • List of cards that are attractive to me
    • Short-Intermediate term churning plan (which cards we will each plan on signing up for in the next 6 months)
    • List of exceptional signup bonuses
    • List of bonus spend categories for each card that I might want to sign up for
    • List of cards available (this is where the bloggers help me a lot!)
Ideally, I'd love a program/service that automates a lot of that for me. There is actually a lot of value with someone keeping track and constantly updating of all the things in the second list. Come to think of it, there is probably a good deal of money to be made through affiliate commissions if one of 'the bloggers' were to create such a system and keep it updated with UNBIASED information regularly. They could make their money by having folks click-through on affiliate links where the card signup bonus for the affiliate link is equal to or better than the current best publicly available offer.

Ok... now: Go! :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Would this be available to anyone visiting the site, or just folks who contributed in-kind or with $$? I could see both applying, depending upon how involved the solution is (e.g. custom programming maybe not available to everyone, but a simpler solution would be) or the nature of the issue (e.g. something that is a more involved MS/Level 2 kind of thing may have restrictions, like being available only on Level 2, or possibly even more restricted).
I can see three ways this could work:

1. we pay the 'bounty' on completed work and make it freee! for Level 2.
  2. we pay the bounty on completed work and make it free for contributors (if any) and paid for others in L2
  3. we don't pay upfront, but allow people to charge for their resources
I'm probably being obtuse, but on the poll, why can't you pick both? Do the questions mean Yes, I'd be willing to contribute time, and Yes, I'd be willing to contribute money? If so, what if you'd be willing to do a little of both, at least in theory?
The idea of Participate was that you'd actually engage and suggest a proposal.
The idea of Sponsor was that you'd also pay for them to come to fruition.

The thought was that if you'd be willing to pay then I thought you'd be also at least willing to participate, but if you'd only be willing to pay, we'd make it work, since cash is king, unless you have points...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea. I'd also like to propose a project: Managing Credit Card Churning. Right now I keep track of all current/historical accounts in a spreadsheet, but I manage a lot of the periphery stuff either through memory or through Evernote (basically 'Notepad' with persistence across multiple devices). Just brainstorming very quickly, here's some things that a CC Churning 'App'/system would keep track of for me:

• Things I track in my spreadsheet
    • CC Account Details - Primary Account Holder (self/wife), Last 4/5 digits, username for Card Issuer (I probably would never trust anyone else or any web-based service with that piece of information)
    • Dates: Application Date, Issue Date, Anniversary Date, Date Sign Up Bonus was paid, Account Cancellation Date, Statement Close Date, Payment Due Date
    • Sign Up Bonus: Amount of Bonus, Minimum Spend, Due Date, Progress Made ($x of y$ on date X), Bonus Paid (yes/no)
    • Misc Details: Credit Line, Issuer, Card Type (CSP, Freedom, etc), Bonus Categories
    • Long Term Plan: Keep after 1st year, and if so, why? Annual Fee amount and Due Date, Annual Bonuses
  • Things I track by memory or in evernote
    • Application history - Every credit application I make, including those that may be denied (THANKS A LOT chase 5/24!)
    • List of cards that are attractive to me
    • Short-Intermediate term churning plan (which cards we will each plan on signing up for in the next 6 months)
    • List of exceptional signup bonuses
    • List of bonus spend categories for each card that I might want to sign up for
    • List of cards available (this is where the bloggers help me a lot!)
Ideally, I'd love a program/service that automates a lot of that for me. There is actually a lot of value with someone keeping track and constantly updating of all the things in the second list. Come to think of it, there is probably a good deal of money to be made through affiliate commissions if one of 'the bloggers' were to create such a system and keep it updated with UNBIASED information regularly. They could make their money by having folks click-through on affiliate links where the card signup bonus for the affiliate link is equal to or better than the current best publicly available offer.

Ok... now: Go! :)
Perhaps too much scope here.. it sounds like it would take a lot of moving parts to implement this... though it would be super!

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
I can see three ways this could work:

1. we pay the 'bounty' on completed work and make it freee! for Level 2.
  2. we pay the bounty on completed work and make it free for contributors (if any) and paid for others in L2
  3. we don't pay upfront, but allow people to charge for their resources
I don't have a strong opinion on (1) vs. (2), but I do think (1) or (2) > (3) -- it's probably a lot easier in terms of centralization/keeping the program organized, making sure things are consistent with what you want them to be, etc. You could even make some stuff free for L2 and charge for others, i.e., implement a hybrid of (1) and (2).

MrWho

Level 2 Member
A solution to a lost scenario for Wal-Mart VISA GC. I can't remember when, but relatively recently (after GD took over), I lost one loaded with $500 when I was going to transform it to a MO. It would have been probably easier if I had the card #. They could just reissue then. I had nothing but a receipt & that was all needed. On the phone, I gave them store # & what time it was purchased from the receipt. Then, I scan the receipt & sent it to GD. Within 48 hr, they verified the transaction & sent me a check for $504.94. Things might have been more complicated of the GC was used. I reported lost within 5 min of opening the package.

volker

Level 2 Member
One idea is often based on another idea. Who will be rewarded for the base work? And isn't this forum about sharing and not earning $$. There is never a solution that fits for everyone and things naturally evolve. Incentives will also lead to the point where everyone works for them self. A collaborative approach would be much better. Therefore I am strongly against $$ incentives.

CWAL

Level 2 Member
A solution to a lost scenario for Wal-Mart VISA GC. I can't remember when, but relatively recently (after GD took over), I lost one loaded with $500 when I was going to transform it to a MO. It would have been probably easier if I had the card #. They could just reissue then. I had nothing but a receipt & that was all needed. On the phone, I gave them store # & what time it was purchased from the receipt. Then, I scan the receipt & sent it to GD. Within 48 hr, they verified the transaction & sent me a check for $504.94. Things might have been more complicated of the GC was used. I reported lost within 5 min of opening the package.
This is very interesting for those who think outside the box.

CWAL

Level 2 Member
I like the idea for truly complex problems that need work going into the implementation, especially if the work is technical in nature.

I feel similarly to volker that this should be more of a collaborative effort, however, the creation of some tools may require contracting out the coding. Those would be the cases where I feel a community bounty would be appropriate. The most important thing in such circumstances would then be to adequately define the problem space and solution in such a way that a technically minded non travel hacker could implement it.