Boston - March 19th

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
WHO: You and anyone else interested in getting together. Freequent Flyer is going to be in town.
WHAT: Informal meetup to discuss points/miles/cashback/loayalty programs/award booking with an eye towards Boston-area angles
WHERE: John Harvard's Brewery & Ale House [Harvard Square] - 33 Dunster, Cambridge, MA
WHEN: March 19th at 6:30 pm
WHY: We've been discussing a Boston meet-up for some time. FQF being in town seems like a great reason to get together.

We've had a pretty good discussion going in the Boston-area Resources thread since The Forum started. It would be great to get together and compare notes on what is and isn't working so we can all get better at this game we play.

If you're interested, would you respond here? Depending on the head count I'm thinking we might reserve a table. Or if it's just a few of us we'll just meet in the bar area and hang out.

Who's in?

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I'm happy to see the interest here! Cool.

I this FQF's recent post he says:

I've recently mentioned that I've lost interest in chasing credit card signup bonuses. These days, when I periodically reevaluate my miles and points strategy, I decide which cards I want to apply for based on their usefulness for manufactured spend...

Code:
http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2015/2/23/chase-credit-cards-ihg-versus-current-hyatt-rebate-promotion
Ironically with all the shutdowns lately and even more painful ones rumored in the near future, I'm headed the other way. MS is becoming rather unpleasant and inefficient for me. Time to get back to basics and focus on signup bonuses if I can't find any new deals. Sounds like a great topic for discussion at our meetup.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
Sounds good to me. I'll try and make it. Not sure if the 6:30pm works for me though but might leave work early.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I'm not too active in the MS game, but mind if I join? I'm addicted to meeting new people in the game since FT4RL2

For parking, you might have some luck on Garden Street or up Mass Ave though it'll be a bit of a walk. But plan to spend some time looking. Another option is to park at Alewife and T it in, it's only two stops. More money, less stress.

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I'm not too active in the MS game, but mind if I join? I'm addicted to meeting new people in the game since FT4RL2

For parking, you might have some luck on Garden Street or up Mass Ave though it'll be a bit of a walk. But plan to spend some time looking. Another option is to park at Alewife and T it in, it's only two stops. More money, less stress.
Would love to have you join Joe! I'm as interested in the redemption side as MS.

MortgageRockstar

Level 2 Member
I haven't been in the forum for a bit and just came across this.

It seems like a great idea and I look forward to meeting others with this crazy disease. ;-)

Is there a secret handshake or something to recognize others for this meet-up?

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the enthusiastic response everybody!
Just a friendly reminder that we are ON for meeting Thursday night at 6:30 pm in Harvard Square.

John Harvard's has a round table for 15 in the pub area I've reserved for us for drinks/apps/dinner.

For parking they say they validate at the Charles and Harvard Square garages, but just for $2 off.
I've sometimes been able to find metered parking west of Harvard Square.
Bring your Chase Sapphire Preferred for 2x. ;)

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Last edited:

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
shucks. been sitting in the aer lingus lounge. really didn't have much to do in bos today wish you had a meetup one day earlier!

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
Thanks for coming out everyone.

For those of you who missed it we had about 10 or 12 people and FQF was indeed in town.
We mostly compared notes on local MS avenues.
I wish I would have gotten a chance to talk more with each of you. We'll have to do it again later in the year.

PS Thanks for letting me pick up the check. 3x on the ThankYou Premier - how sweet it is. ;)

Someone

Level 2 Member
Thanks again for setting it up Robert, it's always great to meet face to face and it was fun to meet everyone. Let us know how you eventually *redeem* those ThankYou points. ;) -Russ

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Yeah thanks for organizing. I was wondering how the bill would be taken care of :)

I was thinking - amongst miles and points geeks ppl could do "Credit card roulette" to see who gets the points (but unlike regular credit card roulette get paid back so it's fun to win). :p

Thomas

Level 2 Member
Sorry I missed this guys!! I had every intention to go, and then work kept me at the office until 8. However - I did manage to make it out to Westborough and discover a little gold mine off of route 9. The stop N shop there is stocked with reloadits available to buy with CC, along with a Target full of redbirds, a walmart across the street, and a staples.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Nah just one. It's okay, I was short on time and just wanted to take a look. Thanks for the tip though! next time I'm out there... :)