Booking with Amex Travel

F

Fuerza

I was curious if anyone could offer details on booking with Amex travel. Next year in August my wife and I are going to CUN MX for our best friends 10th wedding Annivesary. They are staying at the Moon Palace, I've looked pretty extensively at travel cards to churn up points to book but it looks like moon palace doesn't fall into SPG, Hilton or Hyatt chains. Amex travel is offering 30% off Amex Travel so it's a good deal. I've never used Amex Travel booking. I was wondering if I book now with my Platinum do I have to pay out the balance immediately? I need about 400k MR points or $3500 for the week long trip. I'd like to take advantage of the 30% off booking but need time to pay the balance. Will I have to pay immediately or will it just be reserved?

F

Fuerza

Looks like there might not be a need to use Amex Travel. Bookit.com offers the same deal equal pricing.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like there might not be a need to use Amex Travel. Bookit.com offers the same deal equal pricing.
Bookit.com allows for delayed payment?

From a pure budget perspective If you can't afford to pay that in full now, you might want some cheaper friends :)

PS I saw up to 40% off on the official MP website, though not sure about dates/requirements.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Isn't the OP asking about using his MR points? So, doesn't necessarily not have the cash, he wants to pay with points, but is short the points, right? Or am I misunderstanding?
Either way, yow, that is a pricey holiday!

F

Fuerza

Isn't the OP asking about using his MR points? So, doesn't necessarily not have the cash, he wants to pay with points, but is short the points, right? Or am I misunderstanding?
I was asking about booking now and waiting to pay later with points. Things have already changed probably won't stay the entire 7 nights as the host.

F

Fuerza

Bookit.com allows for delayed payment?

From a pure budget perspective If you can't afford to pay that in full now, you might want some cheaper friends :)

PS I saw up to 40% off on the official MP website, though not sure about dates/requirements.
Don't know, doubt it though. I think better deals can be had on travel websites. Book it, Priceline, Orbits Ect.

DL172

Level 2 Member
If you are dead set on this option, I believe you could also borrow points depending on which card.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
When he brought in bookit.com as an alternative I figured the points aspect of the question had been downgraded.

I love Mexico, have spend a good 100 nights or so on that riviera but I wouldn't personally very much to stay there.

F

Fuerza

When he brought in bookit.com as an alternative I figured the points aspect of the question had been downgraded.

I love Mexico, have spend a good 100 nights or so on that riviera but I wouldn't personally very much to stay there.
At moon Palace? Is it a bad place?

TjgWorld

I had used Amex Travel site earlier this year for an AA trip to Hawaii. Out of the total airfare I was able to select how may points were to be applied. On the statement, your getting charged immediately for the full cost, then a credit in dollars of the points you chose to use. Since I was just starting out on collecting points and miles, I had a boat load of Amex points and didn't want to use them all up on airfare. Once I was ticketed, I used the locator number at AA website and reviewed the details of the flight. Hope this helps!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
At moon Palace? Is it a bad place?
Sorry for missing that - no, I am sure it is super. I just have had too many great experiences there for less... depends what you are looking for. You can find a ton of 'good enough' hotels for less than $100 per night (plus there are point options..) there are many beaches available, and great food in abundance.

It's just the cheapo in me, I've been there too many times and love eating street food and local joints, so I struggle to pay. But the globalist in me also acknowledges that I had a great vacation at St Regis Bal Harbour, which when considered as a resort is the same idea as a fancy place in MX, and cost a lot more than most.

F

Fuerza

Understandable, we are just following the host. Probably won't stay the same number of days they are.