Booking on Malaysia Airlines with Avios

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
So, I'm trying to book a short regional flight on Malaysia using BA Avios. When I search for availability on the Malaysia site, the flight comes up as available to redeem with Enrich miles. However, BA isn't showing the flight as having available award seats. Any chance BA will see anything differently if I call in or is this likely a case of Malaysia holding seats back for their own frequent flyer members? I'm curious if anyone has any experience with something similar.

For anyone curious about the specifics, it is 1 way REP -> KUL on July 25th, 2015 for 2 passengers.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Likely MH holding back.

That said, I have actually used Avios to book on this very route (I booked in biz), so availability definitely does occur. I recall booking my ticket a couple of months in advance, maybe around 3. July is slowish time for REP, being part of the long rainy season across much of Cambodia. Make sure you have a passport page available, and a crisp clean $20 for visa on arrival (and preferably more crisp clean USD for purchases) if doing VOA.

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
Likely MH holding back.

That said, I have actually used Avios to book on this very route (I booked in biz), so availability definitely does occur. I recall booking my ticket a couple of months in advance, maybe around 3. July is slowish time for REP, being part of the long rainy season across much of Cambodia. Make sure you have a passport page available, and a crisp clean $20 for visa on arrival (and preferably more crisp clean USD for purchases) if doing VOA.
Thanks for that information. I can see availability during July on either side of my preferred date but not on it. I'm going to keep watching and if that never pans out, AirAsia will have to do.