Booking Hilton with Amex Membership Rewards points

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
I need to book Hampton by Hilton in RI for August trip. 2 nights only. I have a group rate as this is for a wedding. With that, I see $284/night.
I wanted to use my Amex PRG points, but with that, I see a $386/night and 55,164 points. This seems expensive to me, but I do have enough points to cover.

I need advice if this is the best use of my points? I am guessing that I can probably call them and get the rate down to that $284 and less points?

I discovered that I am lousy at using the points and am thinking that when the annual fee for PRG comes up in August, I will cancel. I am not using it enough to justify paying.

Would really appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
Does the $284 include all taxes and fees? Doubt you can call AMEX and get the same price. Sometimes the prices are just higher through AMEX, Chase, Citi travel portals.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
You can move Membership Rewards to Hilton at a 1: 1.5 ratio. I'd look at how much that hotel "costs" per night in points from the Hilton program and then decide whether to move your points.

Be sure you move your Membership Rewards points on to whatever airline or hotel program you have planned for them before canceling the card.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
My choices are (due to wedding arrangements, etc):
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown, RI
348 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842, USA
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
317 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842, USA
Residence Inn by Marriott Newport Middletown
325 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842, USA
Courtyard by Marriott Newport Middletown
9 Commerce Dr, Middletown, RI 02842, USA

all come up much higher in price than Hampton. That is the reason i was going with that. I will move points to Hilton if that is the best move. I just am no good at using points (as I said) that is why I am asking for advice.
Thank you all for answering.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Don't forget to check the point cost of book at that Hilton using the UR travel portal. Sometimes it's a better deal than transferring points to a hotel currency.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
Don't forget to check the point cost of book at that Hilton using the UR travel portal. Sometimes it's a better deal than transferring points to a hotel currency.
The UR travel portal from Amex is the one giving me the point value on my booking. From what I understand, conversion to Hilton is the better option because then I will be paying 36,776 points per night. Not ideal but a much better deal for me. Do you agree?

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
The UR travel portal from Amex is the one giving me the point value on my booking. From what I understand, conversion to Hilton is the better option because then I will be paying 36,776 points per night. Not ideal but a much better deal for me. Do you agree?
Agree. Lowest price is best.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Is this what it shows on the Hilton website? I ask because I've only seen redemptions on the Hilton site end in 00.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
Is this what it shows on the Hilton website? I ask because I've only seen redemptions on the Hilton site end in 00.
Now it shows as not available for my dates but I see this if I move it 1 day. not ideal but gives you the idea

not Hilton site, this is from Amex site. Let me take a look at Hilton.

Attachments

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Thank you
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown, RI
348 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842, USA
8/18-8/20/18 group code WMG
It's 60K points per night. If you transfer your AMEX MR points, for 40K AMEX points, you get 60K Hilton points. That makes this a touch more attractive than using the MR points directly. Your group code does not impact the points required. I didn't think it would but I did try it. The flexible rate at the hotel is $289, not much different than the block rate your friend has booked. I also tried AAA and AARP rates and didn't find any savings.

Hampton Inn and Suites, Middletown, is 50K points/night.

Is there a benefit to your friend in using the group rate? For example, do they get a free room for a member of the wedding party if a certain number of rooms are booked?

I'd be inclined to make a cash booking to be assured of securing a room, being very careful to choose a rate than can be cancelled without penalty. Then if you want to save that money, go ahead and move the MR points to Hilton. This might take a week or two. I haven't done it with MR points but have with others, such as Virgin Atlantic and Hawaiian Airlines. It has taken time in each case. Then you can redo your booking with points.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
It's 60K points per night. If you transfer your AMEX MR points, for 40K AMEX points, you get 60K Hilton points. That makes this a touch more attractive than using the MR points directly. Your group code does not impact the points required. I didn't think it would but I did try it. The flexible rate at the hotel is $289, not much different than the block rate your friend has booked. I also tried AAA and AARP rates and didn't find any savings.

Is there a benefit to your friend in using the group rate? For example, do they get a free room for a member of the wedding party if a certain number of rooms are booked?

I'd be inclined to make a cash booking to be assured of securing a room, being very careful to choose a rate than can be cancelled without penalty. Then if you want to save that money, go ahead and move the MR points to Hilton. This might take a week or two. I haven't done it with MR points but have with others, such as Virgin Atlantic and Hawaiian Airlines. It has taken time in each case. Then you can redo your booking with points.
Thank you. very useful answer. I am guaranteed room if I book before June.I don't know what their benefit is and don't want to ask. I think I am going to take your advice and book then cancel.

@SanDiego1K. you have been a great help and I really appreciate it.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member

Thank you for all your help. I did not book with money. Turns out transfer is instant for Hilton Honors and transfer ratio is 1:2. so i transferred 60k in points and got 120k points at Hilton and booked immediately. The only problem was when i tried to transfer the points right after linking both reward accounts, they required security check from Amex. I was happy to call them. total time spent booking 5 minutes, total time spend worrying about this whole thing is 2 weeks. points travel is clearly not my thing. thanks again for your help.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
That's great. We're here to help whenever you need. Now, you can enjoy thinking about the wedding, knowing you'll be staying FREE.
thanks. Actually, I can now enjoy myself not thinking about booking for this wedding. the wedding is going to be very nice, I am sure.