Booking AS award with Avios

nayrb3

Level 2 Member
We go to Hawaii (OGG, LIH) every year (sometimes twice) from the Bay Area using Avios on Alaska Air (often booking 10-11 months out). Up until yesterday, I have always used aa.com to search for award space and when I have called BA to book, the award space has always matched up. I called BA yesterday after finding what I thought was award space in Feb '17, but the rep said he couldn't see anything. I had him look at surrounding dates and still nothing. Anyone else having the same problem? Any other data points / info you could direct me to? It seems that AS has released award space to AA because I can book the flight I want using AA miles.

I would've posted this in an Alaska Air thread, but there wasn't one. Feel free to move or combine if I missed a previous thread.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
That sounds frustrating. I always look at AlaskaAir for award space. BA has always been able to see whatever I find at the lowest award level. (They have a couple coach levels, so be mindful that the space is at the lowest point level on the route.) Are you able to find the same award space on AlaskaAir as on AA?

nayrb3

Level 2 Member
Yes, I check Alaskaair.com as well to double check award space, my dates are at the 20k level in AS which has always been the correct level. Quite frustrating. Thanks for the info though, appreciate any help I can get.

Maybe too many people are booking HI awards with avios and they are waiting to realease award space until closer to the dates?

Judge

Level 2 Member
I actually did have this problem one time when booking SAN-OGG. The rep I spoke to wasn't checking Alaska which they had to switch to manually. I would try HUCA once or twice first if you're sure the inventory is there.

nayrb3

Level 2 Member
Hey everyone, really appreciate your help. I did HUCA and they couldn't find space. I politely asked again if they are looking at AS space, rep said no I'm looking at American, reiterated AS and poof, found it! Booked all 7 seats like usual and good to go. It's funny, I've used about 500k avios in the past few years, always for the same bookings, this was the first time I've ever had an issue. Glad to see that it wasn't an AS problem as I've still got about 300k to burn in the upcoming year.

nayrb3

Level 2 Member
Quick question: I have a seven pax itinerary and one needs to cancel (used avios), but want to keep the other six. Do I need to cancel and rebook the whole itinerary or can I cancel one single pax from the itinerary?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Quick question: I have a seven pax itinerary and one needs to cancel (used avios), but want to keep the other six. Do I need to cancel and rebook the whole itinerary or can I cancel one single pax from the itinerary?
You need to call. A friendly agent can split out the one person's itinerary, then cancel it.