Booked Business Got Economy?

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Still trying to get my family to Europe.
on AA...booked Business (blue 50k level) from LGA-CLT-CDG on US when I get to the end that's where I see we're in business class from LGA to CLT and then in economy to CDG. How does that happen when I picked the 50k business level?

Charlotte (CLT)
August 24, 2015 06:35 PM
Travel Time : 8 h 10 m
Cabin Class : Economy
Seat : unassigned

Paris (CDG)
August 25, 2015 08:45 AM
Booking Code : U
Plane Type : 333

If I look at the flight details prior to actually booking it says first to CLT and Business to CDG.

US 2066
3:43 PM
LGA
5:41 PM CLT

US Airways
Seat information not available Meal: Beverage service
Aircraft: 320 Booking Code: Z
Cabin: First

US 786
6:35 PM
CLT
8:45 AM CDG

US Airways
Seat information not available Meal: Dinner Snack
Aircraft: 333 Booking Code: U
Total travel time: 11hr 02min Cabin: Business

Last edited:

kidooo

Level 2 Member
Pull up your booking on USAirways see if you can pick a business seat. if yes than i think you are good

(it has something to do with USAir changing their booking codes to match AA, Class U used to be Econ on USAir but now it is Business)

smittytabb

Staff member
Still trying to get my family to Europe.
on AA...booked Business (blue 50k level) from LGA-CLT-CDG on US when I get to the end that's where I see we're in business class from LGA to CLT and then in economy to CDG. How does that happen when I picked the 50k business level?

Charlotte (CLT)
August 24, 2015 06:35 PM
Travel Time : 8 h 10 m
Cabin Class : Economy
Seat : unassigned

Paris (CDG)
August 25, 2015 08:45 AM
Booking Code : U
Plane Type : 333

If I look at the flight details prior to actually booking it says first to CLT and Business to CDG.

US 2066
3:43 PM
LGA
5:41 PM CLT

US Airways
Seat information not available Meal: Beverage service
Aircraft: 320 Booking Code: Z
Cabin: First

US 786
6:35 PM
CLT
8:45 AM CDG

US Airways
Seat information not available Meal: Dinner Snack
Aircraft: 333 Booking Code: U
Total travel time: 11hr 02min Cabin: Business
Are you booked? Or are you trying to book? If you only have one leg in first it will still charge you a Business/First rate. You have to be sure the segments are all in B/F on AA. Otherwise, you have just booked something you may not want at all.

smittytabb

Staff member
Pull up your booking on USAirways see if you can pick a business seat. if yes than i think you are good

(it has something to do with USAir changing their booking codes to match AA, Class U used to be Econ on USAir but now it is Business)
Took this screen shot from ExpertFlyer and it shows how complicated the changes are

Class(es):
(limit 9)
First - Award (Flights From Feb 1) (Z)

First - Award/Upgrade (Flights Thru Jan 31) (O)

First - Upgrade from Y/B Fares (Flights thru Jan 31) (P)

First - Upgrades Using Miles and all Complimentary Upgrades (Flights From Feb 1) (A)

Business - Award (Flights From Feb 1) (U)

Business - Award/Miles Upgrade (Flights Thru Jan 31) (I)

Business - Upgrades using Certs (Flights Thru Jan 31) (J)

Business - Upgrades with Certs & Miles (Flights From Feb 1) (C)

Economy - Award (Flights From Feb 1) (T)
Economy - Award (Flights Thru Jan 31) (X)

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I have the tickets on hold. I couldn't pick seats from LGA to CLT, but I could pick CLT-CDG and it wasn't in business or first. Row 23 basically. I think I need to call and ask before buying. This is my first award booking and I gotta tell ya...it's a total pain the ass. It should be A to B click click click done.

smittytabb

Staff member
I have the tickets on hold. I couldn't pick seats from LGA to CLT, but I could pick CLT-CDG and it wasn't in business or first. Row 23 basically. I think I need to call and ask before buying. This is my first award booking and I gotta tell ya...it's a total pain the ass. It should be A to B click click click done.
I have booked a lot of AA awards and you have to be careful you have all the segments in the class you want. It will charge you 50K for the LGA-CLT portion being first if it is Business/First. Indeed this is true of UA as well if you are doing it from the website. I think you probably don't have business on the segment you are wanting is my guess. I would try to do another booking online and see if you can get what you want. If it is the same dates, it will bump the other one. If that makes you uncomfortable, call.

smittytabb

Staff member
What did you find out? BTW, I put some seats on hold in Business/First and the confirmation email was sent to my husband because I used his miles to reserve. He just forwarded it to me and ours has the same issue, except ALL mine say Economy even though the award says Business/First!

Carrier Flight # Departing Arriving Cabin Fare
Code Seats Meals

US AIRWAYS 744 Charlotte
(CLT)
06:10 PM Barcelona
(BCN)
08:45 AM Economy U unassigned
unassigned
Dinner
Snack

US AIRWAYS 743 Barcelona
(BCN)
10:45 AM Philadelphia
(PHL)
01:33 PM Economy U unassigned
unassigned
Lunch
Snack

US AIRWAYS 1795 Philadelphia
(PHL)
07:30 PM Charlotte
(CLT)
09:19 PM Economy T unassigned
unassigned

Flight 1 Charlotte (CLT) -
Barcelona (BCN)
06:10 PM Business/First
MileSAAver Award 50,000 miles
Flight 2 Barcelona (BCN) -
Charlotte (CLT)
10:45 AM Business/First
MileSAAver Award 50,000 mile

kidooo

Level 2 Member
What did you find out? BTW, I put some seats on hold in Business/First and the confirmation email was sent to my husband because I used his miles to reserve. He just forwarded it to me and ours has the same issue, except ALL mine say Economy even though the award says Business/First!

Carrier Flight # Departing Arriving Cabin Fare
Code Seats Meals

US AIRWAYS 744 Charlotte
(CLT)
06:10 PM Barcelona
(BCN)
08:45 AM Economy U unassigned
unassigned
Dinner
Snack

US AIRWAYS 743 Barcelona
(BCN)
10:45 AM Philadelphia
(PHL)
01:33 PM Economy U unassigned
unassigned
Lunch
Snack

US AIRWAYS 1795 Philadelphia
(PHL)
07:30 PM Charlotte
(CLT)
09:19 PM Economy T unassigned
unassigned

Flight 1 Charlotte (CLT) -
Barcelona (BCN)
06:10 PM Business/First
MileSAAver Award 50,000 miles
Flight 2 Barcelona (BCN) -
Charlotte (CLT)
10:45 AM Business/First
MileSAAver Award 50,000 mile

USAirways class U is used to be economy but now it is Business. AA didn't update the wording yet on their site. Pull your reservation on US site to see what seats were assigned to you or call them up to verify

smittytabb

Staff member
USAirways class U is used to be economy but now it is Business. AA didn't update the wording yet on their site. Pull your reservation on US site to see what seats were assigned to you or call them up to verify
Yes, I assume that. I just thought it was interesting the same thing happened to me. I have another itinerary holding on US and it is in J.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I actually didn't call because I canceled the reservations. We're aiming for
JFK-CDG BCN-JFK direct instead. Have a couple options on hold but none are in first class this time. Using 300k to go economy for four people. Was hoping to get the going over part in first but no awards for 50k are available around our dates that aren't on BA.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I'm finalllly booked.
Used AA miles from PHL-BCN in business even though we have to road trip it to Philly. And then did paid tickets to fly from Mallorca to Iceland for a five day stop then home. Excited about such a diverse trip! Got back 10,209 (I don't know why the 209 extra) miles for having the AA card ...should have booked two tickets on hubs acct so we each would have gotten back 10k. Oh well.