BoA Product Change

cheztir

Level 2 Member
So I've got an oddball card, it's the Royal Caribbean Visa card by BoA. Terrible from a points perspective but it was my first credit card and for a long time my only card. Last month I was able to redeem the points I'd accrued over the years for a free cruise but now I'm looking to ditch the card. Since it is my longest outstanding credit (9 years, whereas all the others are 4 years or less) I'd assume it to be wise to product change as opposed to dumping the card outright. I tried to skim the BoA application dump over on r/churning but that's information overload with many duplicates.

Finally the question, are there any BoA cards I should consider PC'ing to? (or other advice I'm missing).

Thanks!

lochquel

Level 2 Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I tried PC a branded card last year, they told me I couldn't do it. I had to cancel the card and reapply for the one I wanted. Good luck though!

mark.goblue

Level 2 Member
BoA does allow PC between their Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, and regular BoA cards. Unfortunately, they no longer allow PC to the BBR and they don't allow PC to or from any of their co-branded cards.

cheztir

Level 2 Member
Thanks everybody, sucks I won't be able to PC. Guess I need to either make it worth while through some MS or just deal with it sitting in the sock drawer.

Does anybody have any data points on BoA giving retention perks of any kind?

My apologies for the ignorance, I mostly deal with Chase and Amex products and never thought about BoA until now.

madage

Level 2 Member
BoA does allow PC between their Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, and regular BoA cards. Unfortunately, they no longer allow PC to the BBR and they don't allow PC to or from any of their co-branded cards.
Is this new? I PC'ed an Alaska to CR last fall.

cheztir

Level 2 Member
That's what I was told when I tried to PC my Alaska to a BBR but it looks like YMMV and I should have been more persistent.

This DP is a little older as well but looks like it can be done.
http://miningformiles.com/2016/05/17/product-changing-with-bank-of-america/
Thanks for the data point. Spent some time doing my research and was planning on calling in tomorrow to try my luck. Even if I can't get a BBR, just transitioning to a CR or TR would be a huge improvement.

Derptrader

I was able to PC my Alaska to a Cash Rewards Card earlier this year. But when I was talking to the customer rep about this in January, you cannot change to a BBR. It does take a while for them to do the PC though.