Bhutan trip - need ideas

RRD

Level 2 Member
The two of us plan on going to Bhutan (ORD-DEL-PBH) early next year and would like to fly Business. Our work reimburses economy flight tickets up to 2k per person. How can we fly business using points and still get reimbursed the 2k? Can you upgrade economy tickets using points? Any other ideas?

steventravel

Level 2 Member
The two of us plan on going to Bhutan (ORD-DEL-PBH) early next year and would like to fly Business. Our work reimburses economy flight tickets up to 2k per person. How can we fly business using points and still get reimbursed the 2k? Can you upgrade economy tickets using points? Any other ideas?
Yes its possible to upgrade with Points, depends on program and availability, Fare class.

5. How many points do you have, in which programs?

smittytabb

Staff member
Just an aside on this itinerary...Things may have changed, but to get to Bhutan (Paro, specifically), you will need to fly Druk Air or the relative newcomer, Bhutan Airlines. Last I checked Druk didn't have agreements with other airlines. I would be surprised if there were a way to fly business on points on either of those...unless you have Tashi miles for Bhutan Airlines. There used to be no competition into this airport and only Druk flew there. It is one of the most treacherous landings on the planet and only a few pilots are able to do it. Also, be aware that sometimes the planes cannot get in if the conditions are not perfect. I got stuck there because the Druk plane from Calcutta could not land in Paro.

RRD

Level 2 Member
Just an aside on this itinerary...Things may have changed, but to get to Bhutan (Paro, specifically), you will need to fly Druk Air or the relative newcomer, Bhutan Airlines. Last I checked Druk didn't have agreements with other airlines. I would be surprised if there were a way to fly business on points on either of those.
Yes, I was going to book the DEL-PBH leg separately and only want to fly Business up till Delhi.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yes, I was going to book the DEL-PBH leg separately and only want to fly Business up till Delhi.
Yes, you will need to do that and have to recheck bags in Delhi. Travel light if you can because you may be stuck in Delhi overnight with your bags until the flight in the morning. The flight schedules are fixed and not always very convenient. I went through BKK and had that experience. ORD to DEL is a tough flight. Flew it back when AA had that route.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Just an aside on this itinerary...Things may have changed, but to get to Bhutan (Paro, specifically), you will need to fly Druk Air or the relative newcomer, Bhutan Airlines. Last I checked Druk didn't have agreements with other airlines. I would be surprised if there were a way to fly business on points on either of those...unless you have Tashi miles for Bhutan Airlines. There used to be no competition into this airport and only Druk flew there. It is one of the most treacherous landings on the planet and only a few pilots are able to do it. Also, be aware that sometimes the planes cannot get in if the conditions are not perfect. I got stuck there because the Druk plane from Calcutta could not land in Paro.
@smittytabb! You need to find a way to toggle your travel map so you can show us the short list of only the places you HAVEN'T been! Very impressive!!

smittytabb

Staff member
@smittytabb! You need to find a way to toggle your travel map so you can show us the short list of only the places you HAVEN'T been! Very impressive!!
Thanks @knick1959. I am a pretty serious adventurer...If you want to see where I haven't been, I will put up my TheBestTraveled map on here if I can. It breaks the world into regions and I have a LOT left to do! It's a competitive bunch over there and while I am in the top 300 in the world on that site, I can claim to be in the top 5 of American women travelers there.

EDIT: Cannot post that map for whatever reason....

RRD

Level 2 Member
Yes, you will need to do that and have to recheck bags in Delhi. Travel light if you can because you may be stuck in Delhi overnight with your bags until the flight in the morning. The flight schedules are fixed and not always very convenient. I went through BKK and had that experience. ORD to DEL is a tough flight. Flew it back when AA had that route.
Good to know, thank you.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Does your company require that you buy economy flights, or just that they only reimburse up to $2k? BA Avios are actually a good option for upgrading, but they only allow 1 class upgrades. So you'd need to book premium economy, then use miles to upgrade. ORD-LHR-DEL would be 45k-54k per person depending on if it's peak or off-peak. That may sound like a lot, but keep in mind there's no cash co-pay. United, on the other hand, has a cash co-pay for upgrading most economy flights (I think only full-fare Y and B have no cash co-pay), and the cash co-pay can be up to $600 per person per direction. That's in addition to 35k miles.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
The two of us plan on going to Bhutan (ORD-DEL-PBH) early next year
Not sure how early "early next year" is, but it might be wise to do some research to be sure you really want to be there in Jan/Feb, if that's what early means.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
The two of us plan on going to Bhutan (ORD-DEL-PBH)
Is DEL a must-do? Otherwise there are one-stop itineraries from ORD > CCU on Qatar and Etihad (using your AA points) and Cathay (can tfr TYP and MR to their AsiaMiles program). Then a daily flight from CCU > PBH. Cathay can have fuel surcharges in the neighborhood of $400-$500, last time I checked, but maybe an option would be to just pay for the biz tickets using points and then ask your employer to cover the fuel surcharges. Just thinking out loud.

RRD

Level 2 Member
Is DEL a must-do? Otherwise there are one-stop itineraries from ORD > CCU on Qatar and Etihad (using your AA points) and Cathay (can tfr TYP and MR to their AsiaMiles program). Then a daily flight from CCU > PBH. Cathay can have fuel surcharges in the neighborhood of $400-$500, last time I checked, but maybe an option would be to just pay for the biz tickets using points and then ask your employer to cover the fuel surcharges. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks. It gives me an option I didn't think about, though I might not be able to use my full 2k allowance and will have to spend a considerable number of miles, if I do this.. I am not tied to DEL but would prefer it over others.
Not sure how early "early next year" is, but it might be wise to do some research to be sure you really want to be there in Jan/Feb, if that's what early means.
Yeah, looks like Feb is too cold for Bhutan. Maybe March then.

RRD

Level 2 Member
Does your company require that you buy economy flights, or just that they only reimburse up to $2k? BA Avios are actually a good option for upgrading, but they only allow 1 class upgrades. So you'd need to book premium economy, then use miles to upgrade. ORD-LHR-DEL would be 45k-54k per person depending on if it's peak or off-peak. That may sound like a lot, but keep in mind there's no cash co-pay. United, on the other hand, has a cash co-pay for upgrading most economy flights (I think only full-fare Y and B have no cash co-pay), and the cash co-pay can be up to $600 per person per direction. That's in addition to 35k miles.
They will reimburse the cost of a comparable economy flight for the same flight/airline and dates, up to 2k. The BA option sounds attractive - thank you.

smittytabb

Staff member
Thanks. It gives me an option I didn't think about, though I might not be able to use my full 2k allowance and will have to spend a considerable number of miles, if I do this.. I am not tied to DEL but would prefer it over others.

Yeah, looks like Feb is too cold for Bhutan. Maybe March then.
I went in late March and it was still fairly cool, especially in the Bumthang. Guest house had the wood burning stove stocked in my room all night.

RRD

Level 2 Member
@smittytabb Ah! Thanks much for the bit of info. I think I need to re-look at my travel plans since I want to go some place warm next winter.