Best way to pay for South Africa safari

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I've gotten some great advice from many Saverocity friends as we plan our Africa trip. I am at the point of paying the deposit and eventually the remainder, and of course know to use a CC which does not have foreign transaction fees.

I've heard that the dollar is strong compared to the rand. Is there any way to use that to our advantage or do we just give the travel agent a CC #....?

Thanks!

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
My only thought is to be sure that they don't do a dynamic currency conversion on the billed amount. If the amount owed is in Rand, be sure they bill you in Rand.

I've had many hotels and stores try to slip the DCC by for my "convenience".

As to exchange rates, I've given up on trying to time the market.

smittytabb

Staff member
I've gotten some great advice from many Saverocity friends as we plan our Africa trip. I am at the point of paying the deposit and eventually the remainder, and of course know to use a CC which does not have foreign transaction fees.

I've heard that the dollar is strong compared to the rand. Is there any way to use that to our advantage or do we just give the travel agent a CC #....?

Thanks!
No forex. Pay in the local currency. Use a card that has a travel multiplier and/or you can deduct expenses such as Arrival+ or CapOne Venture. Also look at your insurance with these cards. I often use Ritz or Citi Prestige for travel because of those features

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Our agent is finalizing the itin and quoted us in rand for some things and dollars for others. I emailed her noting I want to pay via CC and without the dynamic pricing. We'll see what the response it.

I'm wondering how others may have paid the deposit and the remainder when working with an agent....