Best value for MR points?

46sky

I got the PRG with the 50k bonus after 1 k spend. Im considering keeping this card around for MS, but unsure whether the 2x at grocery stores justifies that, since Ive read that the points are worth about 1c each (effectively 2x cash back). Does anyone recommend any redemption methods to maximize value thereby justifying MS?

Thank you

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I got the PRG with the 50k bonus after 1 k spend. Im considering keeping this card around for MS, but unsure whether the 2x at grocery stores justifies that, since Ive read that the points are worth about 1c each (effectively 2x cash back). Does anyone recommend any redemption methods to maximize value thereby justifying MS?

Thank you
If you don't know how to value the points you are putting the cart before the horse to even consider earning more.

Id suggest looking up airline transfer partners and booking a trip via that route.

Jawa

Level 2 Member
Code:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/redeeming-amex-membership-rewards-for-maximum-value/
Article with some examples of good redemptions. I find the airbnb GC redemption (only available until march 31) is pretty interesting. Value wise this is only 1.25 cents per point. However, depending on the city/country sometimes airbnb properties offer much more value than hotel rooms of the same price.

jleey98

Level 2 Member
Code:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/redeeming-amex-membership-rewards-for-maximum-value/
Article with some examples of good redemptions. I find the airbnb GC redemption (only available until march 31) is pretty interesting. Value wise this is only 1.25 cents per point. However, depending on the city/country sometimes airbnb properties offer much more value than hotel rooms of the same price.
Personally, I'm saving my MR to fly to Australia. I think I can cover any other destination with Chase (United, BA) and AA/US Airways, of which I have plenty of miles already. I may be in the minority, but I do value Delta as a transfer partner, only for the ability to book LAX-SYD without fuel surcharges. If Virgin America's transfer bonus pulls the price lower than Delta's in terms of MR, then I'll transfer there. I also do like the idea of flying JFK-LHR on Virgin Atlantic using Delta.

There are plenty of other transfer partners that I wouldn't mind transferring to (ANA, Singapore, BA, Aeroplan), all with various strengths and weaknesses but my motivation for MR signup bonuses was always with an eye on high value Skymiles redemptions. Especially since the Amex charge cards don't count again the 4 card limit (which is why I don't have a Delta branded card in the first place).

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Have you considered BoA's VA card? 70k points. Could try and 2-3 browser method for multiple. No fuel surcharges to Down Unda

jleey98

Level 2 Member
at some point, I'll consider it... will probably get it the next time I apply for an Alaska card since BoA combines two pulls into one.
VA points are easy to accumulate (Chase, Amex, etc.). The fuel surcharges have always turned me off to their program but now that it's 188,000 round trip with no fuel surcharges, definitely worth considering, given that 188,000 VA miles are easier to acquire than 160,000 Delta skymiles or 80,000 Virgin America elevate points. I guess I'll have to weigh the options (and possible transfer bonuses on VA) and my point balances (comes into play if I have an inordinate amount of Chase points vs MR points or if I have TYP to burn) when it comes time to book.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
at some point, I'll consider it... will probably get it the next time I apply for an Alaska card since BoA combines two pulls into one.
VA points are easy to accumulate (Chase, Amex, etc.). The fuel surcharges have always turned me off to their program but now that it's 188,000 round trip with no fuel surcharges, definitely worth considering, given that 188,000 VA miles are easier to acquire than 160,000 Delta skymiles or 80,000 Virgin America elevate points. I guess I'll have to weigh the options (and possible transfer bonuses on VA) and my point balances (comes into play if I have an inordinate amount of Chase points vs MR points or if I have TYP to burn) when it comes time to book.
Two into one? I haven't done that many, but 4 in 1 is not unheard of. Most definitely go for a minimum 3 in 1. Also BofA cards are also very churnable every 3 months.

Last edited: