Best travel insurance that covers change/cancellation fee for award travel?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Hello!

I have an urgent trip coming up to Asia and the I foresee that those dates can change without notice.

I plan to burn United miles in economy as I will be returning from the trip on Day 3 (only 24-40 hour short stay). I don't have any status with United.

Are there any good trip insurance companies that would cover the change fee in award travel? Is Alliantz a good option in this case? I am not looking to cover medical emergencies etc. but that would be great.

Thanks

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I can't speak to your specific needs or point you to any specific company. However, we've covered the last 2 big international trips for emergency medical and evacuation by shopping via this travel insurance aggregator:
Code:
https://www.squaremouth.com
I'm pretty sure I learned of them on these forums but not 100% sure.

This lets you fill in what you want and provides ranked options. I read through many reviews to figure out which one to choose ... you need to do this as a great many of them are 5 star and say "we didn't have to make use of this, but it was reassuring knowing it was there!". That's great, but I want to know what the people that had to make use of the policy had to say. For both trips, we ended up picking the same provider (Tin Leg?) ... as there were reviews talking about how they came through when needed. There were some complaints, too, but it's a judgement call on your part after reading reviews.

We didn't have to use either of these policies so I did not offer a review. But based on what I read, I was pretty confident I could count on the policy if needed. At least there was a chance, and neither were too expensive.

We have never signed up for cancellation insurance although it is offered. Maybe this will help?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I can't speak to your specific needs or point you to any specific company. However, we've covered the last 2 big international trips for emergency medical and evacuation by shopping via this travel insurance aggregator:
Code:
https://www.squaremouth.com
I'm pretty sure I learned of them on these forums but not 100% sure.

This lets you fill in what you want and provides ranked options. I read through many reviews to figure out which one to choose ... you need to do this as a great many of them are 5 star and say "we didn't have to make use of this, but it was reassuring knowing it was there!". That's great, but I want to know what the people that had to make use of the policy had to say. For both trips, we ended up picking the same provider (Tin Leg?) ... as there were reviews talking about how they came through when needed. There were some complaints, too, but it's a judgement call on your part after reading reviews.

We didn't have to use either of these policies so I did not offer a review. But based on what I read, I was pretty confident I could count on the policy if needed. At least there was a chance, and neither were too expensive.

We have never signed up for cancellation insurance although it is offered. Maybe this will help?
Thanks. Yes, I did look up squaremouth and insuremytrip. In my case, I can definitely foresee a change in schedule. And I know I don't want to pay $200 fee to redeposit the miles in my account. As I am reading through the terms, I don't see a clear mention that the insurance will cover any change/cancellation fee for award tickets. Once I see that language, I can go ahead and buy that insurance.

If anyone already have experience with certain vendors, then that would be great! Thanks!

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Thanks. Yes, I did look up squaremouth and insuremytrip. In my case, I can definitely foresee a change in schedule. And I know I don't want to pay $200 fee to redeposit the miles in my account. As I am reading through the terms, I don't see a clear mention that the insurance will cover any change/cancellation fee for award tickets. Once I see that language, I can go ahead and buy that insurance.

If anyone already have experience with certain vendors, then that would be great! Thanks!
In the above comment, I was focusing on getting coverage for redeposit fee, where the coverage is not limited to just emergencies.

To add (or complicate?) further, if I decide to purchase the ticket using Chase UR points instead of UA miles, I wanted to know if there is a change of plans then the insurance covers it.