Best premium award to Italy

sound48

Level 2 Member
I'm looking at flights for 4 in business or first from most likely ORD to Rome or Venice (still early in the process so completely flexible) and was looking for opinions on the best product for the flight? Not sure yet if it will be with miles (plenty from ms) or revenue.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at flights for 4 in business or first from most likely ORD to Rome or Venice (still early in the process so completely flexible) and was looking for opinions on the best product for the flight? Not sure yet if it will be with miles (plenty from ms) or revenue.
I guess the key is how many stops?

sound48

Level 2 Member
I'd rather lie flat as I'm a snob lol. So I'll probably make the kids suffer through 1 stop options so I can lay flat to Italy.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Alitalia has a well reviewed lie-flat in business, and they have seasonal ORD-FCO flights. If not flying during the summer, you're looking at a connection almost no matter what.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Seems that LH flies both the 747-8 and the A340 on that route (both to MUC) perhaps @asthejoeflies or @tmount might know which is best..
747-8 is the only one lie-flat in J on LH, anything else is roulette at best with poor odds. There's almost 0 chance of getting 4 F seats out of ORD with LH as well, unless absurdly flexible and also absurdly lucky! Should be 747-8 to FRA, A340 to MUC.

sound48

Level 2 Member
Seems that LH flies both the 747-8 and the A340 on that route (both to MUC) perhaps @asthejoeflies or @tmount might know which is best..
We flew the 747-8 last summer and it was amazing. The only issue with them is I got lucky getting 4 business class seats. I know it's very rare to find 4 premium award seats in the summer so I can't really bank on it.

sound48

Level 2 Member
Alitalia has a well reviewed lie-flat in business, and they have seasonal ORD-FCO flights. If not flying during the summer, you're looking at a connection almost no matter what.
Is there usually decent availability in the summer booking 11 months out? Would be using delta miles (never used befofore so looking forward to that train wreck).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is there usually decent availability in the summer booking 11 months out? Would be using delta miles (never used befofore so looking forward to that train wreck).
IIRC There's an issue booking baby flights with these guys- are your kids older?

TheBOSman

Staff member
Not sure, never looked to be honest. DL also flies DTW-FCO summer seasonal and that is 95-100% chance of lie-flat.

smittytabb

Staff member
If you are considering revenue, take a look at flying into Milan. There has been an ongoing fare war from JFK to Milan and the prices are lowest to Italy on those fares.

sound48

Level 2 Member
If you are considering revenue, take a look at flying into Milan. There has been an ongoing fare war from JFK to Milan and the prices are lowest to Italy on those fares.
I would consider a revenue ticket if it was on us airways. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck finding 4 desirable J/F award seats on the same flight.
Technically you only need one F, the wife and kids can go sit in coach and contemplate why they aren't earning the miles like daddy.

(OK I'd be shot if I tried that)

tmount

Administrator
So, LH is a great product, and they are flying more 747-8's which does have layflat business, but if you do LH, I'd recommend at least half the folks fly in F, so you get the First Class Lounge or Terminal.

Other options: There is a direct ORD-FCO on United, they fly a 3-cabin 772, both J and F have layflats, its my preferred J seat of UA (vs. pre-merger CO's seat which they have on the dreamliner that sucks!).

If you have the Alaska miles, you could try flying EK A380 via Dubai, that's a lot of fun, and last I checked Emirates does fly to Rome, that'd be 100k AS miles though, one way. You could even do a stopover in Dubai.

While its not spectacular, Finnair flies from I think ORD (I know they fly from JFK), and has a above average business class, from what I've read. They also have a sauna at the airport, which could be cool to do.

If there were a *reasonable* way to book Air France first class, I'd recommend considering that, as the lounge sounds to be great in CDG, although, you'd be spinning the roulette wheel of whether you'll encounter an ATC strike, pilot strike, ground crew strike, or flight attendant strike.

sound48

Level 2 Member
So, LH is a great product, and they are flying more 747-8's which does have layflat business, but if you do LH, I'd recommend at least half the folks fly in F, so you get the First Class Lounge or Terminal.

Other options: There is a direct ORD-FCO on United, they fly a 3-cabin 772, both J and F have layflats, its my preferred J seat of UA (vs. pre-merger CO's seat which they have on the dreamliner that sucks!).

If you have the Alaska miles, you could try flying EK A380 via Dubai, that's a lot of fun, and last I checked Emirates does fly to Rome, that'd be 100k AS miles though, one way. You could even do a stopover in Dubai.

While its not spectacular, Finnair flies from I think ORD (I know they fly from JFK), and has a above average business class, from what I've read. They also have a sauna at the airport, which could be cool to do.

If there were a *reasonable* way to book Air France first class, I'd recommend considering that, as the lounge sounds to be great in CDG, although, you'd be spinning the roulette wheel of whether you'll encounter an ATC strike, pilot strike, ground crew strike, or flight attendant strike.
Thanks for all the great info. A lot of stuff to look into. This helps a lot.

smittytabb

Staff member
I wouldn't do that to my wife, but I've definitely done that to friends I've traveled with. hehe
Why? If there were only one upgrade would you split and give it to another person? I always offer it to him, but he says I earned it so why shouldn't I enjoy it? There seems to be an unwritten rule that husbands should not do this to their wives. But switching it is somehow different...

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Why? If there were only one upgrade would you split and give it to another person? I always offer it to him, but he says I earned it so why shouldn't I enjoy it? There seems to be an unwritten rule that husbands should not do this to their wives. But switching it is somehow different...
I'd give it to someone else because she'd be unhappy. If it were reverse I would be annoyed too. I'm bad at being alone. hehe

smittytabb

Staff member
There are a lot of people like that. We are both independent spirits and travel together less than we travel solo. But when we travel together I always have to tell them "willing to split" for the upgrade. I think most people don't split. We are each happy for the other person to be up there. But it is usually me:) He's glad I have created situations for him to be upgraded and fly in J and F. It works.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I just booked my husband and myself MSP-VCE.

I can take three weeks, he only wants to use five vacation days, so we're flying separately. But will both be there for our grandsons 2nd b'day, so it's all good.

I want lie flat, and he doesn't care. I'm doing DL through JFK outbound, he's doing DL coach through JFK and FCO both ways. I've got AA/BA through Gatwick and LHR first coming back.

Probably more stops than you'd like, but there's an overnight @ LHR, so making use of some Carlson points. There is a variety of card bonused chains @ Heathrow, so that might help.