Best loyality programs for Europe travel?

LoriB

Level 2 Member
I'm heading to Europe in May for 3 weeks with the family and so far have points with SPG and Hilton. For major cities like London, Dublin, Paris, Munich, Zurich & Brussels does anyone have a recommendation for other loyalty programs? I have plenty of time to get more credit card sign up perks/bonuses if I start now. So far I have 4 free nights at any Hilton so I think I'll use those in the most expensive cities. It seems like the amount of points it takes for SPG properties is sort of prohibitive.

Trevor

Level 2 Member
I don't have personal experience with any of the hotel, but Club Carlson does have their Blu line of hotels in each of those cities (except Munich). That is their "best" hotel. In my experience and from what I've read, they aren't quite like other top tier hotel in the other chains, but you can't beat the value with the CC benefit of one free award night. So for us, we like to take advantage of that great deal. The sign-up bonus would get you nearly 3 consecutive nights (with 1 being free) at nearly any Club Carlson hotel.

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I have stayed at club carlson hotels in the UK. It's a great program for UK and for other places in europe as well (i've researched for next year).
We stayed at the park plaza on the river in London last year for 50k points for two nights using the club carlson visa. It has gone up to 70k points but I'd say it is still worth it. PLenty of other great radisson hotels in london as well.

see if you can get the card for yourself and another person who is traveling with you. That way you can have 4 night stay for price of two as you can book two consecutive 2 nights stays with the different account holders. I hate changing hotels in the same city.

If you can find cash and points availability with Hyatt, it can be a good deal. Same with hilton. Pay with a barclays arrival card to offset the cash portion.

I don't have much experience with SPG. I just got spg card recently. From what I have seen, SPG is a good program for low to mid range hotels but not for high end hotels. UR points when used at Hyatt are good for high end hotels. If you ahve hilton certificates through teh citi reserve card, they are awesome for upscale hilton brands as well..

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Definitely Club Carlson. If you get the visa it's excellent, but without the visa it's still very good. I've had great experiences with them across Europe and get treated surprisingly well as a Gold.

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Oh and the Radisson Blu in Dublin city center is fantastic - best hotel breakfast I've ever eaten and it was free as a gold. Highly recommend.

LoriB

Level 2 Member
I don't have personal experience with any of the hotel, but Club Carlson does have their Blu line of hotels in each of those cities (except Munich). That is their "best" hotel. In my experience and from what I've read, they aren't quite like other top tier hotel in the other chains, but you can't beat the value with the CC benefit of one free award night. So for us, we like to take advantage of that great deal. The sign-up bonus would get you nearly 3 consecutive nights (with 1 being free) at nearly any Club Carlson hotel.
Thanks! I'll think about getting cards for both my husband and I. That will add up to a good amount of nights.

LoriB

Level 2 Member
I have stayed at club carlson hotels in the UK. It's a great program for UK and for other places in europe as well (i've researched for next year).
We stayed at the park plaza on the river in London last year for 50k points for two nights using the club carlson visa. It has gone up to 70k points but I'd say it is still worth it. PLenty of other great radisson hotels in london as well.

see if you can get the card for yourself and another person who is traveling with you. That way you can have 4 night stay for price of two as you can book two consecutive 2 nights stays with the different account holders. I hate changing hotels in the same city.

If you can find cash and points availability with Hyatt, it can be a good deal. Same with hilton. Pay with a barclays arrival card to offset the cash portion.

I don't have much experience with SPG. I just got spg card recently. From what I have seen, SPG is a good program for low to mid range hotels but not for high end hotels. UR points when used at Hyatt are good for high end hotels. If you ahve hilton certificates through teh citi reserve card, they are awesome for upscale hilton brands as well..
Great info! Thank you! SPG is very high for certain properties. But in some cases it is quite a deal. My family and I recently stayed at a Westin resort in Victoria, British Columbia and six days only cost 35K points. It was a gorgeous property and we were upgraded to a huge suite for our visit. It's hard to think about paying that for one night!

Trevor

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I'll think about getting cards for both my husband and I. That will add up to a good amount of nights.
Awesome! Although you cannot book back to back 2 nights (ie 4 nights) by yourself, you and your husband can each book 2 nights each (back to back to get 4 nights total). Just inform the hotel when you arrive and that will allow you a 4 night stay using only 2 nights worth of points.

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
Awesome! Although you cannot book back to back 2 nights (ie 4 nights) by yourself, you and your husband can each book 2 nights each (back to back to get 4 nights total). Just inform the hotel when you arrive and that will allow you a 4 night stay using only 2 nights worth of points.
exactly.. I booked a 6 night stay for price of 3 in paris this way with two accounts.
account 1, then 2 and 1 again :)

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
You might still be able to obtain Club Carlson Gold status without having the card.
I'll have to check if that avenue is still alive.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Carlson is obviously great. Also consider IHG with their best rate gurantee. Good way to free one night stays.

Heather

Level 2 Member
Oh and the Radisson Blu in Dublin city center is fantastic - best hotel breakfast I've ever eaten and it was free as a gold. Highly recommend.
I am heading there in June. Do all Club Carlson hotels in Europe offer free breakfast? (with Gold) Also, if we have the credit card, does it continue to maintain Gold status as long as you have the card?

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I am heading there in June. Do all Club Carlson hotels in Europe offer free breakfast? (with Gold) Also, if we have the credit card, does it continue to maintain Gold status as long as you have the card?
No, the free breakfast is not guaranteed but I received it almost always. At the Rad. DUB the deal was that gold got upgraded to the "business class" rooms which were the same rooms but had a nicer coffee maker and came with free breakfast. I also used the Carlson Friends and Family discount to book one additional night and they were happy to combine it on my reservation. There's a French guy who works at the front desk, any problems ask for him, he was great.
Yes, the gold status is active as long as you have the card in good stading. See the T & C here:
4 Complimentary Elite Status: After opening an Account and making a first Net Purchase with the Card, you will qualify for Gold Elite status (Premier Rewards Visa Signature) or Silver Elite Status (Rewards Visa Signature and Platinum Rewards) in the Club Carlson Program. Business owners qualify for Gold Elite status in the Club Carlson program after opening an account and a first Net Purchase is made by any Cardmember (Business Rewards Visa Card). Gold (or Silver) Elite status will become effective 6 to 8 weeks after the date of the first Net Purchase. You will receive a membership card and information after your Gold (or Silver) Elite status is in effect. You will continue to maintain Gold (or Silver) Elite status so long as your Account remains open and in good standing. Complimentary Gold (or Silver) Elite status earned through the Card Benefit Program does not waive the full number of stays or nights required for Concierge (Premier Rewards Visa Signature and Business Rewards) or Gold (Rewards Visa Signature and Platinum Rewards) Elite status and you must earn Concierge or Gold Elite status in accordance with the Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions to be eligible for higher elite status.

Heather

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it. Any other great ideas or must do while in Dublin? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer that. (Going to London too, so any advice). Husband wants to do a B&B, any one have any advice for that? I know we will have to pay (*gasp, lol) out of pocket for that, lol!

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it. Any other great ideas or must do while in Dublin? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer that. (Going to London too, so any advice). Husband wants to do a B&B, any one have any advice for that? I know we will have to pay (*gasp, lol) out of pocket for that, lol!
We did a hop on/hop off tour in Dublin and had a fun time. The tour companies, can't remember which but it will be obvious when you get there, offer some buses that are automated and some with live guides. We did that company, but rode with the live guides. They were very warm and fun to chat with, and we had some good laughs. We also went on another tour to Malahide Castle and down to the village of Howth - also a good time. The city is quite small so you can do most things on foot and with a hop on/off tour for further distances. We wanted to visit Kilmainham Gaol but they have a limited number of tickets per day, so if you want to get in I suggest starting there first thing to make sure you get in. We were just there for a long weekend so we didn't get to do as much as we would have liked.

I also recommend the guided hop on/off tour in London, we always do it and even though we feel a bit silly like ultra tourists we get to see all of the main sights. Then we decide what we want to see in depth. I loved the London Eye and of course the Tower of London was very cool for my kids. Most recently we went to the Victoria and Albert Museum which was very cool. Personally I don't care for B&Bs, so I am not one to ask about that! :)

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
It is not. But I highly recommend passing a 20 euro bill at check in. Sometimes you can get preferred treatment.

We had 2 rooms reserved at park plaza. We got upgraded to 2 connected 1 bed suites.. it became a huge apt and we really enjoyed the extra space after long days of walking and sight seeing.

LoriB

Level 2 Member
It is not. But I highly recommend passing a 20 euro bill at check in. Sometimes you can get preferred treatment.

We had 2 rooms reserved at park plaza. We got upgraded to 2 connected 1 bed suites.. it became a huge apt and we really enjoyed the extra space after long days of walking and sight seeing.
I have never tried anything like that but after reading this I am tempted to see how it would go!