Best IRA account bonus

sriki

Level 2 Member
I am shopping around to see what offers are available for someone opening a new IRA account. Since we do not have a specific thread for this, I am wondering if we can pool our collective knowledge. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The big ones tend to be TD and Fido. The former mainly being cash/GCs and the latter often also offers miles. One of the biggest tips that I learned from talking with the father in law about this is that they also offer these as retention bonuses..!

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
One of the biggest tips that I learned from talking with the father in law about this is that they also offer these as retention bonuses...
So how do you go about triggering a retention bonus? Do you have to call up and threaten to move your money?

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Basically, though threatening can be a misleading term.
Yeah, but if I go that route I have to be ready to follow up on the "I'm moving my money to a competitor" if they don't have a retention offer. I guess I could always try "Your competition is offering me $600 to move my account to them. What can you do for me?"

FWIW - I'm on TD-Ameritrade and really have no beef with them...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but if I go that route I have to be ready to follow up on the "I'm moving my money to a competitor" if they don't have a retention offer. I guess I could always try "Your competition is offering me $600 to move my account to them. What can you do for me?"

FWIW - I'm on TD-Ameritrade and really have no beef with them...
Social engineering is a fun topic. And it's OK to lose too :)