Best Hotel for a Staging Overnight in Florence, IT?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
This is for an October trip so I'm trusting this Covid stuff is toast by then. I cancelled last October's trip (Africa) but keep planning (and changing) "the next trip". I have a domestic in June that may be a little more iffy, but still hopeful.

I have a flight home from Florence and for the end of the trip, want to get there (likely flying in) just for an overnight and then home. I see many hotels are around ... anyone have a "go to" hotel, preferably with an airport shuttle? Shuttles don't seem to be a thing in Florence?? Plenty of choices, but perhaps someone has one they like. I can find rides if need be.

Anyone every been to Sardinia and have any insight to offer?

TIA

Last edited:

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I'm guessing you don't find a lot of hotel shuttles - since public transportation is solid. There's now a tramway that connects the airport to the SMN Railway Station, so I'd pick a hotel near there. If you don't want to deal with that - you can always take a taxi (helpful if you have a lot of luggage too). We stayed at a nice B&B there a few years ago that we liked - Il Guelfo Bianco that was a short walk (about 3/4 a mile) from the rail station. There were closer options - right by the station - but we were staying a few nights so wanted something a little more central. The St. Regis was all the rage when we stayed there last - but it was a lot of SPG points and cash rates were quite reasonable at local options.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm guessing you don't find a lot of hotel shuttles - since public transportation is solid. There's now a tramway that connects the airport to the SMN Railway Station, so I'd pick a hotel near there. If you don't want to deal with that - you can always take a taxi (helpful if you have a lot of luggage too). We stayed at a nice B&B there a few years ago that we liked - Il Guelfo Bianco that was a short walk (about 3/4 a mile) from the rail station. There were closer options - right by the station - but we were staying a few nights so wanted something a little more central. The St. Regis was all the rage when we stayed there last - but it was a lot of SPG points and cash rates were quite reasonable at local options.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the area near the train station but I always prefer to limit my wife's need to roll her luggage around. A train sounds ... well, did you have amble space for bags? We each typically have one large-ish back plus a smaller carry-on type thing.

Really looking at the most convenient for the airport. If we do re-visit Florence it would be before our side-trip and then I'll look for a convenient-for-site-seeing hotel. So much to do ... not sure if that is in the cards. Thanks again.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Side note: It seems odd talking about travel right now, doesn't it? I'll note that we had a very tentative plan to visit Orlando/Naples FL in Jan for a hobby event. That event was just canceled and now I only have to talk my wife out of the trip. It would make no sense to risk it seeing current events.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the area near the train station but I always prefer to limit my wife's need to roll her luggage around. A train sounds ... well, did you have amble space for bags? We each typically have one large-ish back plus a smaller carry-on type thing.

Really looking at the most convenient for the airport. If we do re-visit Florence it would be before our side-trip and then I'll look for a convenient-for-site-seeing hotel. So much to do ... not sure if that is in the cards. Thanks again.
We were on a larger train since we traveled between Rome -> Florence -> Venice. We had plenty of space. It's a short tram ride from the airport to the city center and we've been crammed on far tighter trains in the past. We had one large roller bag, a smaller roller bag, and a backpack. In hindsight, I wish we had spent more than a few days in Florence - it's a great jumping off point for visiting lots of different areas in Tuscany. If you want to pay more - a taxi is a fine alternative.

And yes - not a good year for travel. We're up to 4 flights/vacations canceled so far.