Best Debit Card to Use While Traveling

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
I figured we can start a new thread to discuss the best cards for withdrawing money at foreign ATMs. Everyone already knows what cc to use (I hope) but some situations require cash. You can exchange money but you'll usually get a pretty bad rate.
The best I've found so far is the Charles Schwab debit card. They reimburse all ATM fees.
Another good option is the TD premier checking account.
Any other suggestions?

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Schwab is the gold standard on ATM cards. As you mentioned, Schwab charges no fees themselves, and there is no no forex mark-up. They reimburse all separately stated fees charged by the machines's bank too.

Also their service is great. We used my Schwab ATM overseas a lot overseas for a few days in October, and Visa put a fraud alert on the card, which shut me down (but not my wife's card on the same account). A great Schwab Bank CSR kept my card usable by putting a series of overrides in place to work around the Visa shutdown, My card stayed usable throughout our trip.

smittytabb

Staff member
Sometimes it is not about which one is the best one, but about finding any one that works in some parts of the world. I travel a lot internationally and I always carry my Bluebird and my Chime card in addition to my local bank card. Oddly enough, my Chime card was the only one that would work in Tahiti of all places. And BB worked for me in France, Japan, Taiwan, and Turkey. Saving a few extra dollars is fine as the rates do vary on each card, but having multiple options is key, at least for me as I go all over the place. The more networks (Pulse. Cirrus, etc.) you can cover the better. Never assume one card will get you money everywhere.

smittytabb

Staff member
And always bring US cash. Some places like Brazil it is next to impossible to use an ATM as the US banks block their use there. Research each country and money before you go...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
And always bring US cash. Some places like Brazil it is next to impossible to use an ATM as the US banks block their use there. Research each country and money before you go...
Yep, still blows my mind that some countries have opening hours on their ATMs...

smittytabb

Staff member
Yep, still blows my mind that some countries have opening hours on their ATMs...
And some countries like Argentina will only allow you to get small amounts, like $100 and the ATMS also ran out of cash all the time.

smittytabb

Staff member
Just bring lots of options. I also bring one US check with me for emergencies. If I have no other option I find another traveler flush with cash and I can write them a personal check for the foreign money. I have actually done this more times than you might think! And check the expiration date of your ATM card. I have traveled with an expired one before without meaning to do so.

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
As others have said, the Schwab card is great. I also carry $1,000 in traveler checks and a small amount of cash. My wife carries her Schwab card as a back-up. The good thing about the Schwab cards is that each has its own unique number so if one is reported stolen (had that happen once) the other remains good.

You need to keep you options open. We never have had an issue with a debit card but credit cards can be a pain. My wife and I each carry a credit card (Master or Visa) with no foreign transaction fees and I also carry an American Express card without such fees. The Citi AAdvantage card has fees -- boo.

Makes me mad that my American Express Starwood card has fees and therefore is not one I carry overseas. American Express Platinum and Centurion cards have no fees.

smittytabb

Staff member
As others have said, the Schwab card is great. I also carry $1,000 in traveler checks and a small amount of cash. My wife carries her Schwab card as a back-up. The good thing about the Schwab cards is that each has its own unique number so if one is reported stolen (had that happen once) the other remains good.

You need to keep you options open. We never have had an issue with a debit card but credit cards can be a pain. My wife and I each carry a credit card (Master or Visa) with no foreign transaction fees and I also carry an American Express card without such fees. The Citi AAdvantage card has fees -- boo.

Makes me mad that my American Express Starwood card has fees and therefore is not one I carry overseas. American Express Platinum and Centurion cards have no fees.
Citi AAdvantage Exec has no forex

DL172

Level 2 Member
I've been using Citigold, but I'm not going to keep parking atleast 50k in cash earning chump change. The great thing about Citi is that they do have ATMs all around the world, but still it isn't worth it. Looks like Schwab is my best bet.

The fact that Schwab also rebates ATM fees is enticing. Though, I have noticed especially in Asia the ATM fees are miniscule. Does Schwab give the interbank foreign exchange rate or is it some crappy rate (and has someone verified that)? That would be my only pushback.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
Agreed!

As far as debit cards, I'm going with TD because there is a local branch and I can get the card the same day (leaving tomorrow:))

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Bluebird is pretty good, honestly. Used it in HKG and Germany with no issues this past year (the fees were minimal, need to look them up, amazing exchange rate). Plus, its always fun to be able to get 5% cb on your cash!

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Both Fidelity and State Farm have no ATM fees when traveling.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I use the Schwab card for foreign ATMs, but I also carry the USAA debit card for backup purposes. Just in case the Schwab doesn't work or if I need more than my daily limit. The USAA card isn't as good as the Schwab but is better than my other cards. They charge a 1% foreign transaction fee and refund up to $15 a month in other bank ATM charges.

youpaiyou

Level 2 Member
FYI: I applied for the Schwab account earlier this month expecting a hard inquiry per the forums/blogs. To my surprise, I haven't received a hard inquiry alert from Credit Sesame or Credit Karma.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Capital One bank has a debit card with no forex. Decent exchange rate. Keep small amount in a CO money market account. Add more funds (AHC pull from primary bank) when going on a trip. Withdraw unused funds except minimal amount once I get back. (AHC push to our primary bank). Used it all over Europe as well as Fiji.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
I ended up getting a TD card because it's around the corner from my house. One thing I noticed is that many ATMs in Europe require a card with a chip and TD doesn't have one (at least the one they gave me when I opened the account.) They might send me permanent one with a chip but I don't think so. I was able to find banks that didn't require a chip though. It's just another thing to consider.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
Schwab didn't initially give me an ATM card with a chip but they sent me one on request. USAA didn't yet have that option when I asked (for ATM, they do for credit cards).

Genuine Cheer

Level 2 Member
I am a part time expat (live in Europe most of the year) who travels a lot. My USAA card works everywhere, without fuss. They reimburse all ATM fees, as well. I have had this account for quite some time, and I guess it is not open to everyone, but if you have military family, you may be able to get an in. USAA is great in many, many respects.

I didn't realize I could upgrade my USAA card to chip, will have to investigate. I think I will also follow up and get a Schwab card, too. Good idea.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Just spoke to Schwab to let them know I will be using my debit in Norway and Amsterdam next week. They specifically suggested to only use the debit at ATM's next to banks and NOT at the airport - where I usually grab arrival cash. Told me higher chance of card being denied at airport ATM due to amount of fraud at these ATM's. Has anyone had issues with this? This is my first time using Schwab, I've never had any problems with Wells Fargo (except for the fees!) in the past. I did have a credit card number lifted in Morocco last year - but not at an ATM.

SocalR

I have used State Farm Bank for the past 4 years. They don't charge any fees and reimburse up to $10 in ATM fees, although they have always reimbursed all of my ATM fees.

jazzmailman

Level 2 Member
Charles Schwab by 100,000 miles.

Never had to call in when using internationally (I visited 9 countries in 14 days this past trip). Always gotten my fees returned at the end of the month. The idea of having the card FOREVER and no longer have to worry about withdrawing too little (if only spent one day in a country) is well worth that 1 credit pull. Must've saved at least $70 on this past trip, and more importantly, the peace of mind.

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I'll add to the Schwab chorus. OTP airport, AMS airport, Paris random ATM, Zurich Hauptbahnhof ATM, all no problems for walking cash. I love being able to take 20 Euros or 200 RON out and use it when needed and not have to try and guess or force the use of 200 speculative Euros.

overclocked92

Level 2 Member
Another vote for Schwab.

One note, make sure the ATM card you are going to use has a checking account set up. Most foreign ATMs that I have used assume that that is where you are wanting to pull money from and don't give you an option of savings. Learned this the hard way with a USAA card that I didn't have a checking account attached to it on my first trip overseas.

KevLe

Schwab + Chase Sapphire are always on me when traveling. Pay with a credit card and when you get a wifi connection, pay your credit card with the Schwab account online :)

Chris D

Level 2 Member
Schwab has never failed me in 1 1/2 yrs I've had it. I think I've used it in either 12 or 13 different countries now. No credit check. I've heard the CapOne does a hard inquiry.

knarayan

Level 2 Member
Does BB charge fees? I will be travelling to France and Switzerland in a couple of months. Or is it better to have a Schwab or TD?

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Another fan of Schwab here. Never had a problem with it and highly recommend it to all my friends.

pillow25

Level 2 Member
Schwab has never failed me in 1 1/2 yrs I've had it. I think I've used it in either 12 or 13 different countries now. No credit check. I've heard the CapOne does a hard inquiry.
I had a hard inquiry when I opened my Schwab. Interesting...