Best CC for big spend

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I will be making a big purchase in the next week, a cemetery plot for a family member who will reimburse me. The cemetery is happy to take a CC for the $19,000 purchase. I do not have time to apply for a new CC so I am trying to figure which of my myriad of card I should use.

These are CC I current have that stand out as contenders are:
  1. AMEX Business Platinum
  2. Citi Prestige Mastercard
  3. JetBlue (love award flights to Bermuda)
  4. SPG AMEX
  5. Chase Hyatt Visa
  6. Avianca Vuela Visa
Suggestions?

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
My order would be Amex Bus, SPG, and Citi but your order may vary depending on the transfer partners that you need. For me, Amex wins with the 1.5x earn over $5k, the pay with points net value and transfers. SPG offers different transfer options with an effective 1.25x earn.

Whichever you choose, I'd call the issuer to clear the large charge if the amount is outside your pattern to avoid a possible decline.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
My order would be Amex Bus, SPG, and Citi but your order may vary depending on the transfer partners that you need. For me, Amex wins with the 1.5x earn over $5k, the pay with points net value and transfers. SPG offers different transfer options with an effective 1.25x earn.

Whichever you choose, I'd call the issuer to clear the large charge if the amount is outside your pattern to avoid a possible decline.
Completely agree on your second point. I just checked the Amex Bus and it has a credit limit of $57,000. Clear sailing.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
you should call up all those companies first and see if they have any retention offers based on spend (often times say JetBlue has 5000 points for $1000 in spend), and then split the payment across those cards accordingly

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Completely agree on your second point. I just checked the Amex Bus and it has a credit limit of $57,000. Clear sailing.
Even if within the credit limit, charges can still be declined if out of pattern. I'd still call Amex with an exact charge amount and vendor name before making the charge as a heads up.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Even if within the credit limit, charges can still be declined if out of pattern. I'd still call Amex with an exact charge amount and vendor name before making the charge as a heads up.
I had this happen recently. A phone call fixed it, but I was denied with plenty of room in my credit line.

AMEX has a "check my spending power" link under your online balance that will tell you if you are OK to spend some amount (I believe this is a request to recognize a coming large spend).

mec

Silver Member
Ala @ukinny2000 This would be a great time to get a spending bonus from Amex or anyone... That aside, the Plat would earn 3,800 more JetBlue Miles than the JetBlue card via transfer. I think you have decided to go with the MRs which is a solid choice. I would agree with @projectx that it makes sense to use your feelings about an upcoming redemptions value as a guide. I would consider Hyatt and SPG to be potential contenders in that department.

ZnMan123

I will be making a big purchase in the next week, a cemetery plot for a family member who will reimburse me. The cemetery is happy to take a CC for the $19,000 purchase. I do not have time to apply for a new CC so I am trying to figure which of my myriad of card I should use.

These are CC I current have that stand out as contenders are:
  1. AMEX Business Platinum
  2. Citi Prestige Mastercard
  3. JetBlue (love award flights to Bermuda)
  4. SPG AMEX
  5. Chase Hyatt Visa
  6. Avianca Vuela Visa
Suggestions?
MR points are super valuable and the most transferrable. SPG are great as well until they convert in August.... I would choose MR over Hyatt points because, if you need a hotel, you can xfer to Hilton. Definitely not Citi Prestige.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Find an 150k offer for the Amex business platinum if they are still around. Expect to pay $75 to $100 if they are still around. 50K MR are easily worth more than $100.

Buy the funeral plot, and spend another $1000. You will end up with 178.5k MR.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Made the big purchase a few days ago, using the AMEX Business Plat. Got a call from the AMEX money laundering department this morning when I scheduled the repayment. That's a first timer for me but they just needed to ask the official questions.