Best car rental option with points/miles

raccah

Level 2 Member
Hello,

I wanted to know if car rentals have the same AWESOME leverage that miles or points can have? Can u get a GOOD deal on a car for a day or two with points, or is carrentals.com still the goto place to start?

Thanks!

yks

Level 2 Member
Hertz actually has amazing redemption rates starTing at 550 for one day up to premium, with no capacity controls and few blackout dates. Not sure bout the others ...

mateo9999

Level 2 Member
Hertz actually has amazing redemption rates starTing at 550 for one day up to premium, with no capacity controls and few blackout dates. Not sure bout the others ...
So is there an easy way to accumulate Hertz points through MS? What other programs allow you to transfer points over to Hertz?

raccah

Level 2 Member
You can book card under the AA and UAL miles programs themselves, thereby using air miles to book a car.

yks

Level 2 Member
@mateo9999 don't know of any credit card that earns Hertz Gold. Bear in mind that the points' value surpasses literally any other loyalty program I can think of in terms of cpp. Even if wasted on a $30 daily rental, you're getting close to 5 cents.
You can accumulate the old fashioned way - with Hertz rentals, earning one point per dollar spent. And every now and then I get bonus offers, ranging from double points on to 550 points (free day) for a one day rental!

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Any updates to this older thread? I will needing some car rentals over the next few months and absolutely no idea whether any good points or rewards programs exist for this, looking around, thanks

smittytabb

Staff member
Any updates to this older thread? I will needing some car rentals over the next few months and absolutely no idea whether any good points or rewards programs exist for this, looking around, thanks
Best resource for anything rental car are the presentations of Stefan from Rapid Travel Chai. He is on the miles and points conference circuit and gives these presentations pretty regularly. He also posts them online via SlideShare so it is fairly easy to find a recent one. He has some interesting tips for sure!

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
My takeaway from Stefan from Rapid Travel Chai's slides, applied to the OP: MS to generate ~ $50 cash with at least one GC as part of the MS. Leave a dollar on the GC instead of liquidating fully. Use that GC 1-2 weeks before the trip to learn the lowest Priceline bid, then proceed with real money.

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
Here's Stefan's Slideshare link:
Code:
http://www.slideshare.net/rapidtravelchai/rapid-travel-chai-the-secrets-of-renting-cars-at-home-and-abroad-ftu-dfw-2015