Best Amex transfer partners for flights from US to Europe?

Barbecue Ribs

What are folks thoughts? Looking to transfer my Amex points to an airline - which? - for flights from NYC to GOT (Sweden).

Usually, I transfer Chase UR points to United to use on Lufthansa, but my Chase points are runnin' low and I'm fairly new to the Amex MR scene.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

Update: Flying coach, no particular dates, 2 passengers, have about 170K MR points.

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
Well you have a couple of choices and if you still wanted to fly Lufthansa you could if you transfer your MRs to Aeroplan (Air Canada) since they are part of the Star Alliance you could transfer to Aeroplan and then just book Lufthansa thru them.
Flying Blue (Air France) is usually not bad, although coach for me with them as been hit or miss (it's also a 3MR - 2FB transfer rate).
KrisFlyer (Singapore Airlines) would be a pretty good value I believe their flights to Europe in coach are floating around 20K miles per person (one way) right now so you would still have a good amount of MRs left over to take another trip or a book a hotel (or even upgrade to first class, though I don't know what their first class rates are right now)

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Well you have a couple of choices and if you still wanted to fly Lufthansa you could if you transfer your MRs to Aeroplan (Air Canada) since they are part of the Star Alliance you could transfer to Aeroplan and then just book Lufthansa thru them.
That would be great IF Aeroplan didn't levy YQ on LH. JFK-FRA Y is $373 in taxes and fees. J is more like $650.

They don't levy YQ on UA, TK, and some other airlines.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If the sole purpose is to minimize the # of pts used, it would probably be Etihad's Brussels Airline JFK-BRU (21k RT) + some cheap way BRU-GOT RT. Personally I wouldn't try it since word is Etihad's call center is a nightmare.

If YQ is of no concern, then SQ's ~20k/way (as mentioned by Wavy; I haven't verified rate) is pretty good.

However, if I were to do it, I would go with Aeroplan's 30k/way with NO YQ on TK or UA/SAS. TK can get you all the way from JFK to GOT via IST. UA can get you from EWR (I think they may not operate in JFK any more?) to Europe and then you can connect on SAS. All this can be done online (not true for EY and SQ).

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Thanks Wavy & Ital.

Do you know which partner would minimize the use of Amex MR?

For NYC to GOT?
There are two costs at play - Amex MR and cash - and you may be underestimating the latter. Flying economy, fuel surcharges negate most/all of the benefit of using miles. And economy flights to Europe, in general, all cost about the same Amex MR price. Here are some good options:
  • Fly on United, Brussels, Turkish, Swiss, and/or SAS, cost: 27.5k SQ miles one way, 55k ANA miles round trip, or 30k AC miles one way; I believe minimal fuel surcharges using any of these miles (definitely confirm)
  • Fly on Delta, KLM, or Air France, cost: 30k Delta miles or 25k Flying Blue miles. No fuel surcharges with Delta miles if originating in US. FB fuel surcharges are reasonable.
  • Fly on Aerberlin, cost: 24.5k BA miles one way (assuming JFK-TXL-GOT or JFK-DUS-GOT)