Barclays Arrival Premier Now Live (DOA)

projectx

Level 2 Member
Let the sign ups begin! (cue the sound of crickets)
Code:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-arrival-premier-now-live/

mec

Silver Member
I'm strangely attracted to this card. I think when the SPG program gets absorbed into Rewards I may consider this for non category spend/ light MS to just above the 25k magic number.

1) I really like flexible points.

2) 2.4% guaranteed return is not that terrible a proposition.

3) I do not have 100k at Merrill Lynch

mec

Silver Member
Ok. I know 'miles'* are lame. I do like having them at some discount where my cost is as low as possible so they are essentially discounted cash. SUBS and miles & points programs have lots of potential, but that potential isn't always a fit and they don't always work with your ideal plan. I find that when I'm looking for Starwood redemptions I see a lot that are in the range of 2.4% when figured against dollars per point. Chase and Amex still have more options to earn URs & MRs at multiples that make them effectively different programs than this Barclays card is.

So looking at this card again. I think the JAL and maybe even the Etihad miles transfers offer the best values. and the worst part of the card is that you are committed to keep using the card at $150 per year and 25k spend unless you are able to cash out your points and be done with it in sync with the renewal. I also think having the option to bail on the points program and book a cash redemption with a non program entity like a couple of nights at a Four Seasons... or just buy a cash fare and earn a few points in a program, does give the card some flexibility in that.

I have a while to think it over before SPG points disappear.

* 'miles' are really pennies.

Cuddle

The problem is that it's only 2.4% if you hit $25k spend exactly. Outside of that and the value starts dropping. Seems like so much extra hassle when SPG points are of similar value.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I just can't figure out who their targeting with this card. A bunch of obscure travel partners that only hardcore travel hackers will take advantage of, and even then only JAL, and maybe Air France is of much interest. Otherwise a 2% card with a high AF compared to it's competitors, unless you can spend $25k for the full 3% back but then much of it is negated by the AF. Even then you're only coming out ahead $100, which has to be used on travel with a high minimum redemption. Just a bizarre offering.

mec

Silver Member
I just can't figure out who their targeting with this card. A bunch of obscure travel partners that only hardcore travel hackers will take advantage of, and even then only JAL, and maybe Air France is of much interest. Otherwise a 2% card with a high AF compared to it's competitors, unless you can spend $25k for the full 3% back but then much of it is negated by the AF. Even then you're only coming out ahead $100, which has to be used on travel with a high minimum redemption. Just a bizarre offering.
I think they are targeting the same people they were targeting with the Arrival plus and they are trying to make it more clear that they are looking for non churners who are going to put a significant amount of spending on the card year in and year out. The Venture has lots of committed users in the general population. They like the simplicity of having a savings bank to help pay for vacation whether it's a good idea or not. Based on that target customer the card may do ok. If you are going to spend 15k a year you are better off and you can tell your churners friends on the internet that your card does have travel partners.

The way I look at it you have to put regular spending on something, and this card isn't bad for that if you hit the 25k mark. If you are going to have trouble or high associated costs spending 25k then he card doesn't make sense.if you can do it while accumulating enough other miles and points to make for a balanced travel bank... it could be useful.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I also find bonuses tied to high spend levels to be risky nowadays. There is a risk that MS will not count toward any bonuses and a risk that they just shut you down.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Not sure where the 2.4X came from. It's 2x earning on everything. Throw in the first 25k and it gets bumped to 3x. Transfers start at 1.4x making it 2.14x (3/1.4) card at best and for JAL, it comes to 1.76x (3/1.7)

mec

Silver Member
I think someone once said: "Lies, damned lies and earn rates."

I got it from the cash value of the travel redemption credit after subtracting the fee... divided by the spend.

750 - 150 = 600

600 / 25000 = 0.024

I know it's a questionable valuation. I also like to think of that particular type of redemption as a cash value discount.

So you'd be paying $150 to get & $750 or paying 20% ...or 1 - 0.2 = 80% cash discount (that would be with $0 in MS costs)

I can foresee a potential very light MS scenario for myself on this card that would make my cash discount more like 75% It wouldn't take much change to spoil that return though.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I also find bonuses tied to high spend levels to be risky nowadays. There is a risk that MS will not count toward any bonuses and a risk that they just shut you down.
Which is why I keep my MSR organic. If I can't, I'll buy GCs at odd amounts at locations that don't have Level 3 reporting where a larger charge wouldn't be considered abnormal. But regardless, there's some risk in MS spend whether it's for MSR or not. Any issuer can shut you down and confiscate the points. So you might as well hit it while you can.