Barclay Arrival+ Usefulness?

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I guess I should know this by now, but I'm not certain how great this card is and how I should be using it. It does give double points for all transactions but the only useful redemption is for statement travel credits as all other uses are half a cent per point instead of a penny.

What sort of "travel" expenditures would qualify and how am I better off using this card rather than CSR, AMEX Platinum or a branded card?

Tricia

Level 2 Member
I put travel expenses on this card that I cannot cover with any of my points. Such as non chain hotels and car rentals. There are other 2% cashback cards that do not have annual fees and that you can redeem easier. This is one of my older cards, which is why I still keep it.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I put travel expenses on this card that I cannot cover with any of my points. Such as non chain hotels and car rentals. There are other 2% cashback cards that do not have annual fees and that you can redeem easier. This is one of my older cards, which is why I still keep it.
Thanks so much. I don't really stay in many non-chain hotels and never rent cars. I think I will charge something to use my points and then close the card.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I guess I should know this by now, but I'm not certain how great this card is and how I should be using it. It does give double points for all transactions but the only useful redemption is for statement travel credits as all other uses are half a cent per point instead of a penny.

What sort of "travel" expenditures would qualify and how am I better off using this card rather than CSR, AMEX Platinum or a branded card?
Many years ago it was a great card for the sign up bonus and ongoing non-bonus spend. Since they've nerfed it - still good for the sign-up bonus, but then you're better with a regular 2% Cash-Back card (not worth the AF).

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Arrival+ is great for the signup bonus. Once you get past though, there are better options for a 2% based card out there.
My spreadsheet showed me that the best approach was to meet MSR and use the bonus. However, once I met the MSR, I was close enough to a second redemption that continuing to spend Just Enough to get to the next redeemable amount (and no more!) was still a great deal. After that, the card was dead to me. Not sure if the newer offers still work well with this plan, but I'm betting they do.