Bankrate acquires Million Mile Secrets!

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
The big news in the points & miles world today is that Bankrate has acquired Million Mile Secrets. I’m glad MMS made a public announcement; that’s more than we got from The Points Guy. As Skift wrote in 2014:

In 2012, Mr. Kelly sold The Points Guy to Bankrate, a publicly traded company that publishes and promotes financial content. While he retains editorial control, Bankrate provides organizational support and some affiliate links. But outside of two email addresses in the site’s terms and conditions, there’s no mention of the relationship with Bankrate.

I don’t think the Points Guy ownership issue was widely known until a commenter on my post on corporate ownership of blogs from a month before the Skift article helpfully pointed it out.

There were some other interesting comments on that old post of mine, too, like this one from Max at MaximizingMoney.com:

BankRate also owns CardSynergy, which used to be the independent credit card sub-affiliate network NCS Reporting, and they also acquired FlexOffers (CardOffers), which was also a previously independent sub-affiliate network and formerly one of the biggest competitors with NCS Reporting for credit card affiliate marketing, and through these networks, they control most of the credit card affiliate links that most bloggers use. They pretty much have a monopoly on credit card affiliate marketing, especially for bloggers.

Sounds like a nice little niche BankRate has carved out for itself, yes?

There was some Twitter debate (prompted by that rabble-rouser George) over the extent to which MMS’s announcement constituted spin. Look: Bankrate is a publicly traded profit-maximizing corporate entity and is not in business to help its friends and family, unless of course those friends and family happen to be shareholders. Of course this acquisition will be portrayed in the best possible light and of course this portrayal is spin.
But that doesn’t mean Daraius is a shady businessman, it just means he’s doing the logical thing. M&A transactions are always spun as a great thing and Bankrate’s latest acquisition is no different. That’s how the game is played. As for the question of how much of a say the new corporate overlords will have in how MMS is run: it’s possible that a publicly-traded company acquired a property it will direct resources to without requiring any profitability goals or top-line targets or editorial control at any point in the future… but that’s not the way I’d bet.
I don’t have much interest in the debate over whether bloggers who sell credit cards are good people; I think that–as is the case with the rest of humanity–some of them are and some of them aren’t. If you’re not actively plagiarizing my content I’m not going to have a strong opinion on your moral worth as a blogger. My concern is with the systems’ incentives. Think of it this way:
  • If doctors received incentives to promote certain drugs over others, would such a system produce suboptimal results for patients?
  • If investment advisers received incentives to promote certain mutual funds over others, would such a system produce suboptimal results for investors?
  • If bloggers received incentives to promote certain credit cards over others, would such a system produce suboptimal results for readers?
Of course, getting the wrong credit card isn’t as bad as getting the wrong drug, but it’s the same principle in both situations. Incentives matter.

The post Bankrate acquires Million Mile Secrets! appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...

volker

Level 2 Member
Thanks for sharing.

• If doctors received incentives to promote certain drugs over others, would such a system produce suboptimal results for patients?
Doctors do receive incentives. It's unbelievable how much some get. Just try to find out how much doctors get from AbbVie (Humira). And that is only one company.... In the past doctors had to publish it. Now they are no longer required to. Just check the old data on https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/ Maybe you find even your own doc...

chalkitup

Level 2 Member
Within the medical community, it is fairly common to start a presentation with a disclosure of conflicts of interest to include any relevant financial affiliation or involvement and even any non-financial relationships.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Within the medical community, it is fairly common to start a presentation with a disclosure of conflicts of interest to include any relevant financial affiliation or involvement and even any non-financial relationships.
I'd generally agree with your statement when it comes to research and professional presentations. However, I'd disagree that this occurs in the patient care setting..

chalkitup

Level 2 Member
I'd generally agree with your statement when it comes to research and professional presentations. However, I'd disagree that this occurs in the patient care setting..
That *would* be hilarious to see in person, though!

Joking aside, there have been some rather disturbing stories out there of physicians inappropriately prescribing medications -- even chemotherapy-- or implanting probably unnecessary medical devices made by companies with which they had financial relationships. It's easy to imagine the same happening in lower-stakes environments.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Actually, it should be required. OTOH, the entirety of Big Pharma is rife with bad data glossed over in the interests of selling the next "needed" thing. But there isn't a doctor in this country who hasn't dealt with drug reps in some fashion or another, and thus been influenced to prescribe drug A over drug B.

Or drug C, when a change of diet and cutting junky food could help heal the patient, instead.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I try my best write generics that i find on the walmart $4 list. that's why i guess i never see any pharm reps. Influence is very heavy in the industry and will probably never go away, but over the years there certainly has been a marked increase in scrutiny

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Sounds like Daraiaus is a very savvy businessman. Why make hundreds of thousands a year when you can trade in for a large lumpsum and then make a cut on top of that.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Actually, it should be required. OTOH, the entirety of Big Pharma is rife with bad data glossed over in the interests of selling the next "needed" thing. But there isn't a doctor in this country who hasn't dealt with drug reps in some fashion or another, and thus been influenced to prescribe drug A over drug B.

Or drug C, when a change of diet and cutting junky food could help heal the patient, instead.
I had a friend who made a pair of drug reps buy dinner in a fancy restaurant for him and and 5 other people, and pay for tango lessons at a workshop I was promoting for 15 minutes of face time. This was almost 10 years ago.