Bank of America Alaska Airlines - Still Churnable?

Vikaz

Level 2 Member
I heard it was relatively easy to churn the BoA Alaska Airlines card. Is this really true? I recently applied for my 2nd personal BoA Alaska card after about 6 months. My application went immediately into pending status.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I churned (have two of them) the last time around 5 months ago. I do not have any more recent data points on its churnability or the lack there of.

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
I applied for my second one last night. Did not get instant, and when calling it said the approval is in process and hung up on me with no option to speak with anyone haha. So we'll see. I did not close down my previous one yet as I had read a while back that Frugal Travel Guy has had more than one at once. Was just going to say I need another for separating expenses out.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Are you guys just applying for the 25k offer or is there something better out there? I've been holding off on my next round of these, but a better offer just hasnt been appearing.

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
I applied for 30k on approval with $75 annual fee last time. This time went with 25k + $100 back after $1k in 3mo with $75 annual fee. Not sure if 30k on approval is out there or not.

dlin

Level 2 Member
i'm also waiting. in dec there was a 50k for 1k spend, hoping that comes around again...

Lucas

Silver Member
i'm also waiting. in dec there was a 50k for 1k spend, hoping that comes around again...
I wouldn't bet on it, that offer was originally targeted towards washington residents. One can always hope though

AndyL

Level 2 Member
I had approvals last yr in Dec, this year in May and most recently Oct 1. First approval was instant, 2nd approval required calling in but approved for $5k credit line. Latest approval (business version) required closing an older card. Csr noticed that I had 2 other alaska cards but didn't make a big deal about it.

MrMike

Level 2 Member
I opened 2 on same day in 11/12, converted to other cards after about 9 months, opened 2 in 11/13, converted after about 6 months, and opened 2 more last month. All personal cards, had to call recon each time.

Stephen McCrea

Level 2 Member
I was just approved for second business AS card. The nice thing for me is they pull EQ instead of EX. Both accounts are open because I opened the first card this year too...

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
Yes it is still Churnable! As a matter of fact, my 3rd card just came in the mail today :).
3rd as in you have 3 cards OPEN now..? I just got approved on my 2nd card with 1st one still open. I have read about people getting up to 7 cards, but can never be clear on them all being OPEN or only 1-2 of them open, rest closed.

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
I opened 2 on same day in 11/12, converted to other cards after about 9 months, opened 2 in 11/13, converted after about 6 months, and opened 2 more last month. All personal cards, had to call recon each time.
Which are you converting to?

Anh

Level 2 Member
I was just approved for second business AS card. The nice thing for me is they pull EQ instead of EX. Both accounts are open because I opened the first card this year too...
If you freeze EX, can nicely ask them to pull something else as well :)

DL172

Level 2 Member
3rd as in you have 3 cards OPEN now..? I just got approved on my 2nd card with 1st one still open. I have read about people getting up to 7 cards, but can never be clear on them all being OPEN or only 1-2 of them open, rest closed.
Apologize for the ambiguity, I only have one open.

hsinaz

Level 2 Member
Are you guys paying the AF on each one or cancelling as sson as the bonus hits like some did on the US Air?

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
I am paying the AF - I value my relationship with BoA, and would not want to prejudice my ability to churn these cards (I have opened six in the last twelve months, and closed two along the way)

DL172

Level 2 Member
I am paying the AF - I value my relationship with BoA, and would not want to prejudice my ability to churn these cards (I have opened six in the last twelve months, and closed two along the way)
I signed up for the business card which has the annual fee billed during the first month, mine was waived because I complained about call time. I was waiting 20+ minutes on hold to get a rep, which is unacceptable compared to Citi, Chase, Amex. I didn't actually ask for anything in return. They just mentioned that they like to waive the fee anytime a customer has an issue. For some strange reason, BofA is having really long hold times (atleast on the business side) every time I call.

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
Ditto - only card(s) I have canceled annual fee on were the AA Exec $450 cards. Got 4 of 5 annual fees returned on them! :)

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
2 Quick questions:

1) days ago i did 2 x Alaska 25k (+ $100 SC) consumer and 1 x Alaska 25k business
The 2 consumers immediately got approved with a very high CL
The business app said "Thank you for applying! Your application has been referred to an analyst for review. The reference number is #######"
All three submit buttons were hit within the same second (literally)
Should I bother calling into the business line to ask about the business app or just call it a day and be satisfied with my 2 approvals?

2) SO did 3 consumer apps. Hit all 3 submit buttons within the same few seconds. The first submission went to pending, the 2nd submission got instant approval with a great CL, the 3rd submission went to pending. Should she bother calling into the espanol line for recon?
Update: She did. no questions asked CL split into 3 all approved

Last edited:

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Turns out they never send an approval email for the business card, like they did with my 2 consumer cards. Today in the mail I got the business card, albeit with substantially less CL than the consumers.

jackal3000

Level 2 Member
Turns out they never send an approval email for the business card, like they did with my 2 consumer cards. Today in the mail I got the business card, albeit with substantially less CL than the consumers.
Did you freeze EX before you and SO applied?
Did you have any existing credit with BOA?

Thanks

stellar

Level 2 Member
Did you freeze EX before you and SO applied?
Did you have any existing credit with BOA?

Thanks
I applied for 2 cards at once 2 weeks ago and got both approvals, received the points and annual fee before receiving the actual cards. I did not freeze. I also closed an older AS CC on the phone 5 minutes before applying for the 2 new ones.

shoobi

I applied for 4 personal cards alaskan 25K bonus, using 4 browser method, and next day 4 biz cards same thing.
result:
originally 1 personal card approved 1200 credit line, all others pending. called recon, got second card approved for 5k (visa signature so i would get 25k bonus). prob was, 1st card wasn't sig. so i wouldn't get 25k bonus. i tried to get CL increased, but that would entail another hard pull which i said no to, so i called back recon and asked them to close out 1200 card and approve a new 5K card and they did! so total- 2 visa sig. personal cards.
now for the biz cards, only approved me for 1 for 3500 but i heard that's enough for the 25k... maybe i'll do HUCA on that again.
i will definitely try churning these in the future. BofA is SO much easier than Chase... they are practically falling over themselves to approve me...

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
MMS has his blog post on doing 5 at once. Someone posted in his comments section that they were able to do 12 at once... Is it me or does that sound like a crock of @#$%? I don't see BoA approving 60k of credit, presuming he was signing up for the consumer cards

shoobi

Hey, I guess I forgot to introduce myself... I am new to Saverocity but a vet of the CC game, great to be here, hi everyone.

jazzmailman

Level 2 Member
Any update on how churnable these cards are?

I currently have 2 personal Alaska Airlines cards open, and wondering if I should close them before I apply for new ones... or if I'll risk getting shutdown by Alaska Airlines.

thanks!

Timrek

Level 2 Member
I've churned both the regular and business Alaska cards a few times over the last two years, but last time I applied in August I got rejected for the business card and only offered a 1k line of credit for the personal card (which didn't qualify for the 25k bonus.) B of A seems to be tightening their standards.