Baltimore/DC

The Rev

Hey everyone. I know this conversation has been idle for a while, but I just came to the forum this week. Hoping there's still some interest in a meet up in Maryland. Would love to get together and share experiences/ideas with some other like-minded folks!

Plus, the last meet up was scheduled in Laurel, and there's a walmart there rumored to be far better than the one in my town...

tmount

Administrator
@The Rev - I'm going to schedule another meet-up probably early May.

There is a Walmart in Laurel, but Wanda and Marie in the money center at least a couple months ago were finding every reason not to be MS friendly. I'll have to check this weekend to see if that stance has changed...

The Rev

Excellent. I'll look forward to that may meet up, and hope I can make it. Baby due on 5/21!

Yeah, I had one college buddy tell me the Laurel walmart was good, but that was at least a year ago, maybe more. Constance, Masha and Victorine at the money center at the Germantown, MD Walmart are grumpy, frustrating and seem to enjoy coming up with reasons to not to business with me!

tmount

Administrator
Oh - Laurel Walmart was good a year ago. Since then, they've gotten, as you describe, grumpy. If we do a meet-up in May it'll prolly be 2nd week. Just gotta decide if I'm MRing or not.

Renee

N0rthernbelle
If anyone in this conversation is considering attending the Washington FTU advanced in August, and need to book a room (for instance if you are from Baltimore, like me), I thought I'd give you a heads up that I was successful in getting a BRG on the Westin, as it is available on many sites (I searched on Kayak) for 99$. The regular (not group) rate on the website is in the 140's
This is an easy way to score an extra 2k SPG points on your reservation (and get a lower rate).

As of now, expedia, orbitz, hotwire and many others have 99$/night rates.

Good luck and I hope to meet some of you there!

I would also be interested in meeting up with with others in Baltimore.

The Rev

I've always wanted to go to one of these events, but never got the chance. I'm pretty good at this stuff, so I know my time has passed for the regular events.

The advanced sessions are so expensive. Do you all enjoy them? Are they really worth it? I know there's always new things to learn...but for that price, I want to know it's at least going to be enjoyable and I'll get my money's worth in information.

Is there a consensus on these? Would love to attend the one in DC.

smittytabb

Staff member
I've always wanted to go to one of these events, but never got the chance. I'm pretty good at this stuff, so I know my time has passed for the regular events.

The advanced sessions are so expensive. Do you all enjoy them? Are they really worth it? I know there's always new things to learn...but for that price, I want to know it's at least going to be enjoyable and I'll get my money's worth in information.

Is there a consensus on these? Would love to attend the one in DC.
I did DC Advanced a year ago. I had done several other events before that one. It depends on your goals. If you want to meet people, they are great. There are always new pointers, but I usually see it as if the gigs are showing up at these events, they could be short lived. FTU is quite expensive these days and not sure if I would spring for another.

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
If someone was looking to buy a ticket off of someone else, is there where it might get posted? I see that the tickets are transferable and I am interested in possibly going to this one! Thanks.

Renee

N0rthernbelle
I have an extra ticket to the advanced travel hacking in DC this weekend if anyone is interested. My friend can't make it.

AnyNameYouWish

Level 2 Member
I had a ticket but family stuff came up so I sold it. I asked Jamie how I should look into that and was told that inside flyer was a good place to post it. I saw others posting there that they had a ticket to sell or were looking for a ticket to buy. For anyone else who has/needs a ticket.

strikeone92

Hey all - new forum member here, but not new to the hobby.

Wanted to check-in as another Baltimore member - would definitely be down for a local meetup.

Happy Halloween!

craig d

Hey all - new forum member here, but not new to the hobby.

Wanted to check-in as another Baltimore member - would definitely be down for a local meetup.

Happy Halloween!
This is much later than your post, but I'm near BWI myself and down for a local meet up too. There's stuff around DC from time to time with Trevor, Richard Kerr, and Pizza in motion, follow them on twitter and you'll see when stuff is planned too

tmount

Administrator
Yes - Lets plan for 26 August at Jailbreak Brewery -- anyone else about to make that? They open at noon, so we could start then. I can post it on the blog as well.

misenlai

Level 2 Member
any chance of doing this outside 8/22-9/1 :) ?
I have my hawaii trip during that time running on 25k pts korean airline :) and 25k grand hyatt :)

misenlai

Level 2 Member
Just want to add there's another group on reddit very much interested in meetup (around 25 people), so perhaps we can get them to join once we set something up.

UNHBuzzard

Level 2 Member
@The Rev - I'm going to schedule another meet-up probably early May.

There is a Walmart in Laurel, but Wanda and Marie in the money center at least a couple months ago were finding every reason not to be MS friendly. I'll have to check this weekend to see if that stance has changed...
Finding this a while later after you posted... this store is why I pretty much stopped MS. They were fine until one day they required paperwork, would not say where it was going or what the point was, and I was under the 2k. Marie was def worse than Wanda... Wanda was pretty chill for the most part.