Baltimore/DC

MarcusBWI

Level 2 Member
Hey folks,

I was just contacted by the restaurant asking confirming the reservation tomorrow. It sounds like there may only be a couple of people interested, is that correct? If so, I'd like to contact the restaurant to reduce (or eliminate) the reservation.

So, what's people's interest level in a meetup?

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
Hey folks,

I was just contacted by the restaurant asking confirming the reservation tomorrow. It sounds like there may only be a couple of people interested, is that correct? If so, I'd like to contact the restaurant to reduce (or eliminate) the reservation.

So, what's people's interest level in a meetup?
I plan to attend.

milesaway733

Level 2 Member
Sorry for the late reply but is there room for 2 more tonight?

Is anyone going to be there before 7? I will be in a red sweater at the bar around 5:45.

Last edited:

SJS

Level 2 Member
I'm so late to the dinner table, as always. Baltimore here. Travel M-Th like a good consultant though. In the future I would want downtown DC so I could take the MARC, or somewhere in a location that is Baltimore/NOVA neutral, like Silver Springs, Bethesda, or any other place that is ridiculously awful to go to.
Are people averse to doing this on a weekend? I would think weekdays would be more difficult for people, but I digress.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
I'm so late to the dinner table, as always. Baltimore here. Travel M-Th like a good consultant though. In the future I would want downtown DC so I could take the MARC, or somewhere in a location that is Baltimore/NOVA neutral, like Silver Springs, Bethesda, or any other place that is ridiculously awful to go to.
Are people averse to doing this on a weekend? I would think weekdays would be more difficult for people, but I digress.
I don't understand the part of your post that reads: "or somewhere in a location that is Baltimore/NOVA neutral, like Silver Springs, Bethesda, or any other place that is ridiculously awful to go to."

I think there have been ad hoc weekend suggestions and meetups, but nothing planned in advance. I would recommend a travel theme to get people out on a weekend; isn't there an aviation themed restaurant near the College Park Aviation Museum? I am not endorsing that specific location, necessarily, but rather the theme/idea. For example, someone with connections may be able to arrange a docent-led or back-stage tour of a travel site/location on a weekend.

The last event listed in this thread was in downtown DC located near a metro, but not well attended. I am not sure what the issue was... perhaps because it was a Friday? I hope to arrange another Weekday happy hour in NoVA near a metro soon, if there is interest.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
I'd still like to meetup in Ellicott City/Laurel/Gambrills
When? I may go to Laurel or Ellicott City to Target this weekend in search of a redbird, if anyone has any recent intel. Not saying that you would want to necessarily meet up with me, but for organizing a group meetup, you may need to be a little more specific or forward leaning in getting a smaller group together.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
When? I may go to Laurel or Ellicott City to Target this weekend in search of a redbird, if anyone has any recent intel. Not saying that you would want to necessarily meet up with me, but for organizing a group meetup, you may need to be a little more specific or forward leaning in getting a smaller group together.
I work in Glen Burnie, live in Odenton. I don't have obligations in the evenings other than making my lady dinner.

You should be able to get RB anywhere fairly easily.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
As of 2 weeks ago, Laurel was out of RedBirds where there were tons before. According to CSR at Guest Services, Columbia was the closest that would have more. So we drove there and did find some there. Good luck Kim!

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
As of 2 weeks ago, Laurel was out of RedBirds where there were tons before. According to CSR at Guest Services, Columbia was the closest that would have more. So we drove there and did find some there. Good luck Kim!
Thanks for the info; there was one report that Laurel Target was keeping any at the customer service desk. Unfortunately, I didn't know that when I was there new years eve, so I didn't ask.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
At the request of InstinctX, I am proposing the next NoVA meetup for Tuesday, March 24th; however, I am open to group consensus on new date and/or location, etc. I defaulted to the previous location because it has ample, easy paid parking, some free parking for limited time, and Metro access. (I will cross post this event at Travel Codex. So you may also see the event there.)

Let's get together on 6pm Tuesday, 24 MAR and invite others to join us.

Meet up on Tuesday, 24 March at Champps Sports Bar at 1201 S Joyce St Arlington, VA 22202 at approx 6pm.

From Pentagon City metro station exit, go left and into Pentagon City mall, walk a straight line thru the food court and out the otherside; this will get you 95% of the way there and in view of Champps at Pentagon Row.

Map showing the local area is at https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...ata=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc86c475dcba50425

Driving and parking directions are at http://pentagonrow.com/directions-parking/

There is some limited above ground parking that is free for the first hour, and the next additional hour is reasonable (a quarter?); underground parking is also reasonable if you plan on staying more than 2 hours or can't find surface parking.

It is a pretty large bar so look on the left hand side for the group.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
At the request of InstinctX, I am proposing the next NoVA meetup for Tuesday, March 24th; however, I am open to group consensus on new date and/or location, etc. I defaulted to the previous location because it has ample, easy paid parking, some free parking for limited time, and Metro access. (I will cross post this event at Travel Codex. So you may also see the event there.)

Meet up on Tuesday, 24 March at Champps Sports Bar at 1201 S Joyce St Arlington, VA 22202 at approx 6pm.

From Pentagon City metro station exit, go left and into Pentagon City mall, walk a straight line thru the food court and out the otherside; this will get you 95% of the way there and in view of Champps at Pentagon Row.
Thanks @Kim @Savy.Traveler! FYI: Pentagon City Mall has the Simon GC's... ;)

OT (rant): customer service doesn't validate parking! (yes, $2 is pocket change -- but still, if you're purchasing $2K+ of GC's, you'd think they would at least validate parking) And they turned off the "freebie" parking ticket validation trick, where if you enter the mall and insert your parking ticket, you get 15 minutes of free parking...instead you're greeted with "Your parking fee is $2, pay with cash or credit")

Last edited:

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member

Would love to but can't make it on that date. For me, a little further west would be helpful since I am coming on 81

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
CTR OT rant: There is also a Harris Teeter (for MOs) and Bed, Bath & Beyond (for Chime offer) in Pentagon Row. The free limited above ground parking is between HT and the bar. There is also free limited above ground parking on the other side of Sine, an Irish bar next to Champps.

Tip for the very cheapest of people who don't mind walking a little farther (which would be me if I wasn't already nearby) the Pentagon parking lot directly across the street from Macy's is available after 5pm (I think) and on weekends. DO NOT park there at any other time because you will be booted and get to pay at least $125 for removal.

Limited upside is that I seem to remember that the towing company took credit cards. Hopefully, no one will be able to confirm that is still the case though. ;-)

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
The HT parking lot is a zoo. They have silly parking meters for each space. Parking is free, but you have to REMEMBER to press the button to "activate" the free 2 hour parking.

BB&B expires today!!!

That HT for MO is YMMV: I went there once to liquidate my new Simon GC's. I used the "put real debit card" on top trick. The CSR asked to see my debit card & DL. I bought 3 MO's that day...thankfully she wasn't paying attention. Just as the MO's were printed, a mgr shows up -- the mgr asked the CSR if she checked my ID :)

In addition, HT is implementing the dreaded WU policy that's effective 3/22.

Last edited:

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Thanks Kim & InstinctX for arranging the meet! Barring anything unplanned, I should be able hang out & buy y'all a few beers!

Last edited:

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Unless I need to go see the doc that day, I will get to our meeting spot early. For security reasons, we're getting booted out of our building at work...not complaining! :D

Who'll be there early, so I can buy them a beer?? Any takers?

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
Mstr at MFSpend has proposed a change in venue for the meetup at 6pm on Tuesday, March 24th to "the brand new Highline RxR bar in Crystal City[, which] has great draft beer/cocktails, is also right on top of [the Crystal City] metro stop, has some actual local flavor and is walkable (15 min) from DCA." While I am less certain about the walkability from DCA, there is a free after 4pm parking garage around the corner from the bar (for locals, this is the space that Bailey's Pub & Grill was in, including the upstairs); see
http://www.crystalcity.org/go/220-twentieth-street. Highline RxR also has a happy hour with $2 off of all of its 32 draft beers and 8 "draft" wines from 3-8pm Monday-Friday. The address and phone number are: Highline RxR, 2010-A Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202, 703-413-BEER (2337); See http://highlinerxr.com/ Absent strong objections, I can submit an event form to them on Monday and see if they can offer us a free, specific space and, who knows, throw in some goodies? Please confirm your attendance on Tuesday (no regrets necessary; see you next time), so I can get a better count, and let me know whether you agree/disagree with the change in venue. Thanks!

TheCandiedKeynes

Level 2 Member
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new here but will try to make it to the meetup. I'm in DC but Crystal City isn't too far. I would be there around 6:30 if I'm free.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Mstr at MFSpend has proposed a change in venue for the meetup at 6pm on Tuesday, March 24th to "the brand new Highline RxR bar in Crystal City[, which] has great draft beer/cocktails, is also right on top of [the Crystal City] metro stop, has some actual local flavor and is walkable (15 min) from DCA." While I am less certain about the walkability from DCA, there is a free after 4pm parking garage around the corner from the bar (for locals, this is the space that Bailey's Pub & Grill was in, including the upstairs); see
http://www.crystalcity.org/go/220-twentieth-street. Highline RxR also has a happy hour with $2 off of all of its 32 draft beers and 8 "draft" wines from 3-8pm Monday-Friday. The address and phone number are: Highline RxR, 2010-A Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202, 703-413-BEER (2337); See http://highlinerxr.com/ Absent strong objections, I can submit an event form to them on Monday and see if they can offer us a free, specific space and, who knows, throw in some goodies? Please confirm your attendance on Tuesday (no regrets necessary; see you next time), so I can get a better count, and let me know whether you agree/disagree with the change in venue. Thanks!
I'll be coming from downtown DC via Metro rail, so if it's right above the Crystal City station then it'll work as well!

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Thanks Kim! That's the estimate for someone walking normally. I'm dealing with a painful foot ailment, so it's been a lil bit of an adventure getting around! haha Maybe 10 minutes for me then! I'll have plenty of time to get there though since I get out early that day.

Last edited: