BA Devaluation

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Looks like BA just eliminated the 4500 Avios each way tier. It was raised to 7500 OW. A couple of other changes as well. Effective Feb 2, 2016.

Last edited:

Barb

Level 2 Member
The change only applies to flights originating or terminating in the US. The 4500 pt award is still alive in the rest of the world, which is where I use it most!

"We’re going to be making a change to the Executive Club pricing structure for shorter reward flights originating or terminating within the United States of America. From2 February 2016, reward flights will start from 7,500 Avios, instead of 4,500 Avios, plus taxes, fees and carrier charges (“TFCs”) from $5.60 USD.

Only those reward flights that currently cost 4,500 Avios for a one way flight in Economy, 9,000 Avios for Business Class and 18,000 Avios for First Class plus TFCs will increase; to 7,500 Avios, 15,000 Avios and 30,000 Avios plus TFCs respectively. All other Avios reward flight pricing will remain the same as it is today."

smittytabb

Staff member
Just booked one two days ago. They cost 12500 on AA, so not a surprise this one is going away. Again, if it is an outsized value, use it while you can! It will eventually disappear...

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
San Diego is a mini hub for AS, and we've used this award a lot. We have nonstop flights to Fresno (gateway to Yosemite), Monterey, and Sonoma. RT for 2 is currently 18K Avios. It will be going to 30K. Couple that with the deval on earning points on the BA card and the lower transfer ratio from AMEX to BA, it's a series of small hits. I got a lot of good from this sweetspot, and will definitely be looking for some 2016 travel.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
This one really hurts. I use it a minimum of 2X monthly. In Sept did 6 of these. Thought it had survived for another year when it wasn't included in this spring's BA devaluation. I wonder what prompted them to put this in now?

I'm trying not to panic over what AA is going to do. That's the last big shoe to fall.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
sucks, but UR still one of the easiest currencies to earn. i'll still be using it. i wouldn't rush to needlessly burn the stockpile (not that i have one)

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm trying not to panic over what AA is going to do. That's the last big shoe to fall.
It is. I have burned more AA miles in the last year than I can ever recall. I am not panicking; I am using them. Really I am in major burn mode. I have been booking a lot this last week using AA, BA, Aeroplan and Korean Air. Guess it's the change of season here or something.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Surprisingly good post from r/Churning to slightly reduce the devaluation for trips <1000 miles RT but only on AA.
Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3qmivm/ba_avios_to_ib_avios_to_blunt_the_devaluation_of/

smittytabb

Staff member
Surprisingly good post from r/Churning to slightly reduce the devaluation for trips <1000 miles RT but only on AA.
Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3qmivm/ba_avios_to_ib_avios_to_blunt_the_devaluation_of/
And there it is already
Code:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/30/iberia-avios/

aviator8

Level 2 Member
And there it is already
Code:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/30/iberia-avios/
with absolutely no credit to the guy that wrote it. Then OMAT posts today advocating that people go create extra IHG accounts to get the best promo even though IHG is know to shut people down for doing that. What a huckster.

smittytabb

Staff member
with absolutely no credit to the guy that wrote it. Then OMAT posts today advocating that people go create extra IHG accounts to get the best promo even though IHG is know to shut people down for doing that. What a huckster.
To be fair, the article about Iberia Avios is written by Tiffany.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
So stopovers in the US don't count as long as flight does not start or terminate in the US? Would it be possible to make a super long stopover?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
So stopovers in the US don't count as long as flight does not start or terminate in the US? Would it be possible to make a super long stopover?
I'm not sure what you are asking so forgive me if I answer in a way that doesn't answer your question. BA prices award flights by segment. The only benefit in a connection versus a stopover might be in a reduction of taxes. For example, it will lower taxes by having a connection at LHR instead of a stopover. I'm unaware of a US airport that would be comparable. Thus, you can book your award into a US airport, have a 6 hour or a 6 month stop and travel onward. It won't impact the price/Avios charged.