Award Booking Help Istanbul to Lisbon to Boston

Andrew

Level 2 Member
My wife and I will be visiting her family in Turkey in late August. We have our outbound flights booked, BOS to IST direct on Turkish. While looking for the return leg I noticed there was no award availability for IST to BOS direct for almost the entire month of September.

We thought perhaps taking some time out of the Turkey trip to go to Portugal (Lisbon and Porto) would be a way around this, and also a fun trip. However, the same problem is occurring, no award availability on the direct flight from IST to Lisbon during the first week of September as well as no award availability for Lisbon to Boston direct on TAP around September 8th, and for pretty much all of September.

Just wondering if I'm simply looking for award space too late or there is something wrong with what United/ANA is showing me for award space. We have always booked these trips around this time or later, and have not had problems finding direct flights back to Boston.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Not sure what you are doing, but I see saver availability for IST-POR nonstops in business on Turkish for August 1st through the 16th, except for August 7th. Same for IST-LIS, except nothing on the 10th instead of the 7th. Availability out of IST to Portugal is nonexistent after the 17th though.

For LIS-BOS, I see nothing direct, but it looks like there is decent saver availability on LH going through FRA. On a 747-8, no less. Don't bother with POR-BOS.

Last edited:

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Not sure what you are doing, but I see saver availability for IST-POR nonstops in business on Turkish for August 1st through the 16th, except for August 7th. Same for IST-LIS, except nothing on the 10th instead of the 7th. Availability out of IST to Portugal is nonexistent after the 17th though.

For LIS-BOS, I see nothing direct, but it looks like there is decent saver availability on LH going through FRA. On a 747-8, no less. Don't bother with POR-BOS.
Thanks for the help! I was initially looking for IST-BOS but couldn't find anything on United which is why we thought to do the stopover in Portugal hoping it would make it easier to get back to Boston, with the added benefit of the Portugal trip. I actually ended up finding award space on Turkish via Lufthansa Miles and More program. The taxes/surcharges aren't great but it allows us to spend three full weeks in Izmir with my wife's family which is what we wanted all along.