Award availability WAS-HNL during XMAS season

DanT

Level 2 Member
We are planning a trip to Hawaii after Christmas 2016. We will probably shoot for departure on or about December 26th and return sometime first week of January 2017. Preferable airport would be DCA but BWI and IAD a consideration as well. We will probably hit Oahu and the Big Island. Business class seating preferred.

I have significant balances of UA, AA, Citi TYP and UR points. The optimal choice for us would be United which has a nonstop from IAD to HNL. I know it may be less miles to use Singapore. However, what is availability like during that time period? Obviously it is high season. Will I be hunting for unicorns? Will Delta or American be any easier? I could only do Delta via Korean Skypass using UR points.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
I've been planning the same trip for quite some time (two week trip for either Christmas break 2016, late March to early April 2017, or around July 4, 2017--we both aim high :-D). Checking last year's availability as a guide, I think we're looking for unicorns, especially if looking for the United non-stop between IAD and HNL and especially if looking for more than 1 saver J or F seat (I'm looking for 3, possibly 4). The best saver availability I've seen for that flight for saver J or F is during the spring break period, but even the dates for that are limited. Christmas break and summer are worse.

How many seats are you looking for?

I'd also love to hear what other experiences folks have with booking something like this.

DanT

Level 2 Member
Same as you 3 maybe 4. I thought about Thanksgiving time frame but I was hoping to limit the amount of school my daughter will miss.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
Have you had any luck? I just booked IAD-HNL nonstop one-way for late March (3 saver F with United miles). Saver F availability for 3 on the return (or for HNL-EWR for that matter) is non-existent, though.

DanT

Level 2 Member
No. I just ended up booking in Economy and paying up for Economy Plus for second week of January to leverage the MLK holiday since for us its a 4 day school holiday. Looking over the schedule for the last few months I now realize first hand that flying to Hawaii in business is very difficult at just about any time of the year. Count yourself lucky to have gotten what you did. My wife wanted me to hold out for easter break 2017 but I knew that was pretty much a pipe dream.