Avoiding Fuel Charges to Copenhagen & Dublin

Boxster

My 50th anniversary is in July 2016 and I've booked a cruise (wife doesn't know ) leaving Copenhagen and arriving Dublin. My plan is to be in Copenhagen a few days before and Dublin a few days after which gives me flexibility with flights. I know airlines are not publishing routes out that far yet but I've been looking to see who goes where. We have plenty of AA, UA, Delta and UR points and want to book business class one ways from LAX to CPG and DUB to LAX. Every place I look has one or both of the flights routing through London or somewhere with huge fuel surcharges. Without creating several odd timed or long layovers does anyone have any ideas where I could look outside the box?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Aer Lingus is a partner airline to UA. They fly to JFK, and it's possible to link that to a UA from JFK to LAX. I would call a CSR to try to find flights. Be sure to state your goal "I would like to find one way, using the saver award tickets, from Dublin to LAX. I'd like the transAtlantic flight to be Aer Lingus."

CSRs can find flight combos that won't show up on your UA award charts.

You may have a long layover in NYC. But that's not all bad. Spending a night only three time zones away can help with the re-acclimation to PST.

And congratulations on 50 years!

stellar

Level 2 Member
congratulations! AA has a direct flight DUB-ORD. You could just route to LAX afterwards. This would avoid fuel surcharges.

My 50th anniversary is in July 2016 and I've booked a cruise (wife doesn't know ) leaving Copenhagen and arriving Dublin. My plan is to be in Copenhagen a few days before and Dublin a few days after which gives me flexibility with flights. I know airlines are not publishing routes out that far yet but I've been looking to see who goes where. We have plenty of AA, UA, Delta and UR points and want to book business class one ways from LAX to CPG and DUB to LAX. Every place I look has one or both of the flights routing through London or somewhere with huge fuel surcharges. Without creating several odd timed or long layovers does anyone have any ideas where I could look outside the box?