Avoiding foreign transaction fees

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
I want to use the 3x AmEx PRG for a flight by a non-US carrier (probably AF/KL or AZ) but it has a 2.7% FTF.
Which airlines/OTAs will process payment for airfare in the US? Is there a wiki or a full list?

Thanks!

P.S.
I know CSP and BA+ have no FTF; I want MR.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've not bought airfare in a while, but I believe all of the U.S. OTAs would charge you in USD and most of the airlines directly would have a US site and it wouldn't be an issue...

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
I recall reading somewhere that it depends on where they actually process the transaction.
That's why I'm asking what is "safe".
  • Air Canada (ref)
  • British Airways (ref1, ref2)
  • Qatar via Expedia (ref)
  • Emirates (ref)
On the other hand, a comment here says AB, AF and TK are fine.

P.S.
I mainly care about AF/KL promo flights, having a couple hundred $ in YQ, that must be booked on their websites.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
I booked AF award tickets on 1/20, Merchant Location on Barclays is listed as: ROISSY CDG CE FRA

I'm pretty sure it was charged in Euros as indicated during my purchase.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
I booked AF award tickets on 1/20, Merchant Location on Barclays is listed as: ROISSY CDG CE FRA

Departed from the US? booked while being physically in the US?

smittytabb

Staff member

Roissy is what locals use to refer to CDG airport in Paris.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
OK, so I booked a rev ticket AZ via Orbitz.
It was billed in the US, posted as "Orbitz Chicago IL - doing business as Alitalia'.

No FTF :)
But will I get 3x MR with the PRG? is DBA the part that matters?

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
It is time for all credit card issuers to eliminate FTFs. Many have and others are considering it. e can help speed that process by giving the FTF as the reason every time we churn (make that cancel) a card. Also each of us should have at least one card with no FTF. Even if it has to be one without benefits (and it doesn't) saving 3% more than offsets the lost benefits.