Avios?

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I just kind of heard about Avios that they might be quite useful so signed up for BA's Executive Club. I have heard that Chase BA and Iberia cards are not subject to 5/24 and that you can transfer Avios from Iberia to BA. Would it make sense to apply for both and try for about 100K combined or is that crazy?

My biggest problem is spend. I can't really spend 10 or 20 K$ that easily unless I take another cruise. I can do the math I guess. My only way to spend a lot is on travel and dining, but if I use CSR and get 3X points, then I get 60K UR. If you believe various valuations, UR are worth about a third more than Avios.

The mind whirls! If I buy "stuff" that wouldn't be bonus spend, it might make more sense, though I could use Barclay and at least get 2X. Just musing.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Before stocking up on Avios, read about them and see if they would actually be useful to YOU. They certainly have their uses and value, but make sure they'll have value to you. If you're US based, AA short-haul non-stop is a good value (but can be tough finding availability). There's even good value BOS-DUB for example. BA has horrible fees if you're flying through London, but if you have an interest in Spain then IB fees aren't nearly as bad.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Before stocking up on Avios, read about them and see if they would actually be useful to YOU. They certainly have their uses and value, but make sure they'll have value to you. If you're US based, AA short-haul non-stop is a good value (but can be tough finding availability). There's even good value BOS-DUB for example. BA has horrible fees if you're flying through London, but if you have an interest in Spain then IB fees aren't nearly as bad.
I will do the homework. Thanks. My problem is I've probably gotten pretty much of the available bonuses as I'm 5/24'd and have AX Platinum, CSR, Propel, Barclay, Citi as well as Hilton, IHG, Delta and 2X AA. Perhaps I should just be happy with what I got already. Also Life Miles

I don't know about cancelling and reapplying. Credit well over 800 and won't ever need a loan so it's not so important.