Authorized user on an AMEX, disqualified from sign-up bonus?

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
Wavering on the value of the Platinum card. If I can add my SO as an authorized user on my account, we could each book 1 night via FHR rate and get special benefits for a both nights of a 2-night stay, which would add tons to the value of the card. But will that kill her opportunity to get the first time sign-up bonus on a new application for the Platinum card if she wanted to get it?

Anyone know the answer?

smittytabb

Staff member
Wavering on the value of the Platinum card. If I can add my SO as an authorized user on my account, we could each book 1 night via FHR rate and get special benefits for a both nights of a 2-night stay, which would add tons to the value of the card. But will that kill her opportunity to get the first time sign-up bonus on a new application for the Platinum card if she wanted to get it?

Anyone know the answer?
I do know the answer. I am currently authorized user on my husband's account. I just recently applied for the Platinum and got my own as well. I will probably have him remove me soon, but it had no bearing on my application at all.

smittytabb

Staff member
Have the points from the sign-up bonus posted yet?
Statement closes today. My account is currently frozen for "audit" but that seems to be happening to everyone. I have no doubt I am eligible for the bonus. Being an authorized user on a card does not mean you cannot get the bonus if you apply later.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
The answer is: absolutely not. I have done this many times and can attest that being AU (with or without SSN supplied) in no way counts as their own card as far as the rule of "not having had the card before" is concerned.

This applies to all major banks.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
What both smitty and Italdesign said: I have been AU on Husband's cards, and still gotten my own, with own bonus. In particular, from Amex.