Dismiss Notice
Welcome to The Forum. Please register here, to join the conversation. It only takes a moment!

At 2/24, time for Chase AOR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by El Ingeniero, Sep 8, 2017.

1. El Ingeniero

El Ingeniero Level 2 Member

Clearly I'm not paying attention, since I've been 2/24 since May and was 3/24 before that.

Thinking 2nd Freedom, IHG and maybe Business Marriott for a transfer to SPG.

I'd be glad of some advice.

2. knick1959

knick1959 Level 2 Member

As I was recently informed, IHG card is not subject to the 5/24 rule so, if anything, save that for last.

3. El Ingeniero

So Freedom, Marriott Biz, then IHG. Which would leave me at 4/24. Wonder if I can get a CSR, instead of the Freedom, then downgrade to CF; probably the best bet.

4. GettingReady

GettingReady Level 2 Member

You can get the Biz Marriott when you're over 5/24 and I wouldn't waste a pull on a Freedom. You can always PC to it.

Have a business? Chase Ink Preferred
    Travel a lot domestically and have a SW hub? Get SW CP, but time it so points post early 2018
    CSR or CSP if it's been 24 months since you received a bonus and if the card isn't currently open.

5. Maverick17

Maverick17 Level 2 Member

There have been a few reports too of people doing several cards quickly, i.e. AoR, and getting Chase shutdowns. So I'd space them out a bit rather than doing multiples.

6. R.R.

R.R. Level 2 Member

Agreed. Once I'm under 5/24, my top priorities will be Ink and Sapphire.

7. projectx

projectx Level 2 Member

+1 on this. Be careful. My wife is under 5/24 and it has changed our strategy on the Southwest CP.

8. currid7

currid7 Level 2 Member

Agree with posts above, Marriot Biz and IHG are both exempt from 5/24, so wait. Ink Preferred, CSR (yes, some of us still don't have it!), any United cards, etc. You can always PC to a Freedom, so not sure if that should get a spot.

9. El Ingeniero

I should have mentioned which Chase cards I presently have: Ink Bold ($21K CL), Ink Plus ($23.5K), Hyatt ($10K), Freedom ($4.5K).

Not sure I want another Ink, except for the signup bonus. I'm thinking a Sapphire, not 100% decided on which. For sure I will not need to pay for lounge access for next years trip (MSP-SEA-PEK-IST-BCN-JFK-MSP) since that will all be in J or F, so I am inclined towards a CSP, since I have no bonused restaurant spend. Biz Marriott after that, I suppose.

Should I reduce my CLs to free up total CL?

10. GettingReady

GettingReady Level 2 Member

Do NOT reduce your credit limit with Chase. You may not get auto-approved but at least you'll have some leverage if you have to call. Otherwise, you may still have to move credit even if you reduce the limit.

11. GRiZ

GRiZ Level 2 Member

The only bank I know of that likes you to reduce CL before new apps is BoA, as far as I know everyone else will approve you with transfers if they think you have too much credit with them.