Applying for "targeted" Amex Platinum Card

jackal3000

Level 2 Member
I was tired of waiting to be targeted for the Amex Plat card and was itching for more MR's so after reading a thread on FT about ways to apply for targeted cards I stumbled upon these instructions. They worked like a charm.

Call 1-800-971-6736, and chose option #1, "Apply for a new card"

The conversation then went like this:

Me: I would like to apply for the Platinum Business Card. However, a few months ago I got an offer that has since expired. I was wondering if I could still apply and get the bonus that was offered to me?

CSR: Let me see what I can do for you. Do you still have the RSVP code?

Me: No, but I remember the offer. It was for 100,000MR after spending at least $10,000 within the first three months

CSR: That should be no problem. As a courtesy I can extend you that same offer whereby you would get 100,000MR after spending $10,000 or more within the first three months.

Anyone else have any success's, failures with this??

Last edited:

Kreem

Level 2 Member
The rep offered me when i just asked if there were any offers . Got approved on the phone for 100k after 10k spend.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
Slightly offtopic but what business information do they need over the phone, does the sole proprietor trick work ?

BrianMizzou

Level 2 Member
I also posted in another section of this forum, but it appears some individuals are being matched to Amex Personal Plat 100K and Amex PRG 50K offers through Creditcards.com CardMatch.

SCC

Level 2 Member
I also posted in another section of this forum, but it appears some individuals are being matched to Amex Personal Plat 100K and Amex PRG 50K offers through Creditcards.com CardMatch.
The benefit of that one seems to be a $3k spend to get the bonus. So might be worth checking out vs. the $10k spend when you call in.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I now have two. Cosigned on oldest son's first MacBook, years ago and got an HSBC card for my efforts. When they were bought out, I suddenly had two Cap1's. Tried to move to one, with combined CL, and they wouldn't do it. Said that their different cards all have different TOS. Which, of course, but still....

kidooo

Level 2 Member
If i closed a business platinum in june will i still qualify or need to wait until june 2015?

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
I logged into my BCP account and had this waiting :

"As a valued Card Member, you're pre-approved to apply for the Business Platinum Card® with a welcome offer to earn 75,000 points. Terms apply."

Welcome Offer1
As a special offer, you can get 75,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card®within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be received by March 3, 2015 to be eligible for this offer.

bayguy

Level 2 Member
I got Business amex gold card offer for 75000 points after 10000 spend in 3 months multiple times through snail mail and last month I took it.

MotownMan

Level 2 Member
I called a few weeks ago and received the Biz Plat by saying I had lost a targeted offer. They extended the 100k/10k offer without blinking. However, I work for a nonprofit that has a budget of about $20 million and it didnt seem the agent had processed an application from anything but a for-profit business. Explaining how donations work when asked about our revenue seemed to make her nervous :)

arathorn

Level 2 Member
I have checked CardMatch for targeted offers (always in incognito mode) regularly over the past year or more and am always presented with the exact same offers -- Chase Sapphire Preferred and Freedom, Capital One Quicksilver and Venture, and a bunch of worthless First Premier cards. I have never seen anything else, including those fabulous targeted American Express offers that the blogs seem to run across regularly.

Any tips for increasing the likelihood of getting better offers to show up?

smittytabb

Staff member
I have checked CardMatch for targeted offers (always in incognito mode) regularly over the past year or more and am always presented with the exact same offers -- Chase Sapphire Preferred and Freedom, Capital One Quicksilver and Venture, and a bunch of worthless First Premier cards. I have never seen anything else, including those fabulous targeted American Express offers that the blogs seem to run across regularly.

Any tips for increasing the likelihood of getting better offers to show up?
I have pretty much the same luck as you. The only thing I get are the Cap One cards and not much else.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
As I understand it, Amex et al will release inventory to CardMatch as a 'campaign' to A/B test application routes. As such, it is less likely that an individual will randomly have a 100K offer vs they release it to many, and one finds it... and the floodgates (somewhat) open.

I don't think there have been that many great cardmatch offers recently, but they do push them out every now and then to keep up excitement and interest.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Got an offer in the mail (with offer code) for 100K MR points on $5K spend on the Personal Amex Plat. Started doing the happy dance before I noticed the mailer was for a previous resident. LOL.

Ethicality aside, would it work if I applied using the offer code included online or over the phone?

Fafa123

Level 2 Member
Depends on the code. There was a code awhile back for Amex Business Plat, 150,000 points for $20k spend that was a transferable code. On the other hand, got an offer in my name for the same card. Already had it for one of my businesses, tried to use it for another and couldn't. Even worse, the csr deactivated the code so, even though she told me another employee could get the card, when my husband called back (he's an officer in my company), he couldn't use the could. In other words, YMMV.