Applying for Chase cards at the bank vs. online

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I decided to apply for the Ink Bold, although I have virtually no business income. But I am a Chase customer and I have a great relationship with the folks at the branch I use, so I decided to go into the bank to do it. The app went pending and the Business Development banker immediately called recon. I expected it would go pending, but I was hoping that his making the connection might grease the wheels for what I knew was an iffy app. Indeed, that's why I was applying from the branch.

We were on hold for a long time until we could get through to a person at recon. The recon rep asked to speak to me. I was grilled pretty heavily, and then denied for too little income, too young a business, too many inquiries, and too many new cards. We escalated to a supervisor; to no avail. In fact I was lectured twice for having so many recent inquiries and recently opened cards, and reminded that one's credit is "a serious thing."

The banker said that it was not over because they could file a special request. I was convinced it would make no difference, but this morning the banker called to tell me that the card had been approved, with a large credit line, and that it was being expedited to me.

So if you have a good banking relationship with Chase, you might consider this approach. Your favorite blogger won't get the click, but your branch gets some benefit and you may just get a card that recon would have denied!

AU1

Level 2 Member
That's good to know; thanks for the info. I'm in a similar situation. I already have the Ink Bold, and I've applied for the Ink Plus at least 3 times with no success. Maybe I'll try the branch, and see if they can help.

tly

Level 2 Member
Good idea, my last two business card apps with Chase have been denied for the same reasons.

MarkyMark

Level 2 Member
That's good to know; thanks for the info. I'm in a similar situation. I already have the Ink Bold, and I've applied for the Ink Plus at least 3 times with no success. Maybe I'll try the branch, and see if they can help.
You will probably be asked "Why do you need an Ink + when you already have the Bold". Have a prepared answer, like "As my AR grows, I may not always be able to pay my card in full every month". Remember, the Bold is a charge card, the Plus is a credit card.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
You will probably be asked "Why do you need an Ink + when you already have the Bold". Have a prepared answer, like "As my AR grows, I may not always be able to pay my card in full every month". Remember, the Bold is a charge card, the Plus is a credit card.
AR?

thewally

Level 2 Member
A question about this on the consumer side. I happened to be in a branch and was told by the banker that I had an offer for the CSP, when I look for offers on Chase.com I see no such offer. Has anyone had any experience with this? My most recent Chase card isn't yet 12 months old and I'd rather not take a hard inquiry just to get a denial.

WalletSlot

I decided to apply for the Ink Bold, although I have virtually no business income. But I am a Chase customer and I have a great relationship with the folks at the branch I use, so I decided to go into the bank to do it. The app went pending and the Business Development banker immediately called recon. I expected it would go pending, but I was hoping that his making the connection might grease the wheels for what I knew was an iffy app. Indeed, that's why I was applying from the branch.

We were on hold for a long time until we could get through to a person at recon. The recon rep asked to speak to me. I was grilled pretty heavily, and then denied for too little income, too young a business, too many inquiries, and too many new cards. We escalated to a supervisor; to no avail. In fact I was lectured twice for having so many recent inquiries and recently opened cards, and reminded that one's credit is "a serious thing."

The banker said that it was not over because they could file a special request. I was convinced it would make no difference, but this morning the banker called to tell me that the card had been approved, with a large credit line, and that it was being expedited to me.

So if you have a good banking relationship with Chase, you might consider this approach. Your favorite blogger won't get the click, but your branch gets some benefit and you may just get a card that recon would have denied!
Select Chase branches have Business Bankers in addition to Personal Bankers. If you can apply in person with a Business Banker, they can send the application over to underwriting while you are there. My BB was on the phone with underwriting when he hit the button, the underwriter and him chatted for about 30 seconds, and my new credit line was approved. They also periodically have higher signup bonuses in branch too.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja

Sounds to me you got Jason or his female friend... :(

Matchmee

Level 2 Member
Can someone help me with a reason for why I would want to have the Chase Ink Bold over the Chase Ink Cash that they have used in the past? I currently have the Ink Cash and just got the Ink Plus. I'd like to open the Ink Bold and close my Ink Cash obviously for the points but I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to be reconsidered past:

I want it. :)
I want the reward points. :)
I don't want foreign transaction fees on my business cards?
I would rather be "forced" to pay my business credit card off every month? (like I already do)

WalletSlot

Can someone help me with a reason for why I would want to have the Chase Ink Bold over the Chase Ink Cash that they have used in the past? I currently have the Ink Cash and just got the Ink Plus. I'd like to open the Ink Bold and close my Ink Cash obviously for the points but I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to be reconsidered past:

I want it. :)
I want the reward points. :)
I don't want foreign transaction fees on my business cards?
I would rather be "forced" to pay my business credit card off every month? (like I already do)
Bold will give you access to UR vs $ with the Cash card. Tell the CSR that you value the UR more than $. Good luck!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
My SO has agreed to apply in-branch for Ink. Folks keep telling me it's not that hard even with no income yet (I've heard they are getting tougher). Is one card easier to get than another (Bold vs Plus) and what are his chances--does 800+ FICO help?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
My SO has agreed to apply in-branch for Ink. Folks keep telling me it's not that hard even with no income yet (I've heard they are getting tougher). Is one card easier to get than another (Bold vs Plus) and what are his chances--does 800+ FICO help?
I'm sure it doesn't hurt.
I'd just make sure his util is down and everything checks out.

I applied as a student and I was approved for the Bold. So... Anything is possible.
Tons of reports over on FT were that they weren't instant approvals. (Hell... Mine took two weeks)

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I'm sure it doesn't hurt.
I'd just make sure his util is down and everything checks out.

I applied as a student and I was approved for the Bold. So... Anything is possible.
Tons of reports over on FT were that they weren't instant approvals. (Hell... Mine took two weeks)
Util is down, we're trying to figure out the whole AOR-- 3 cards for him, 3 for me (he has 3 HPS in last three months). We're doing this for the bonus since we prob. and transfer since we can't much utilize 5% 'cause they're ain't no cards being sold although value transfer.

Is Bold easier to get than Plus?

Can I convince you to put your eyes on:
http://saverocity.com/forum/threads/which-card-is-right-for-me-aor-help.22/page-3#post-16805, mine is #56. No one responded except @Matt.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
My daughter just got the Ink which has the 70,000 promo offer. It took at least two weeks but she just waited it out and did not have to call recon. Her first bus card and she used rental income she gets as her bus income.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
My daughter just got the Ink which has the 70,000 promo offer. It took at least two weeks but she just waited it out and did not have to call recon. Her first bus card and she used rental income she gets as her bus income.
Thanks, Elaine, I guess I'm concerned w/stories I read about Chase Bankers demanding a business account, asking way too many questions and then not even helping with recon if not instant decision so I'm not sure I want to subject my SO to that for 20K points and $95 fee. I've been successful getting a match from Chase but reports on this offer are not as promising but it never hurts to ask.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I called my Chase Bank today to see what the process was to open this account. Next thing I know I got a call back from the "regional business banker" ("14 branches, 2 counties" he proudly exclaimed). He was in his car, didn't have access to paper work and said he "thought" the AF was $195, wasn't clear on points. I just reacted naturally and said if that was the case, I'd be better off applying on line. Well--he started selling me on all the benefits of the Ink and I couldn't stop him. I thought he was going to offer to come over to the house to take the application. He then suggested he could do it perfectly well over the phone (my SO wasn't home but I probably could have gotten away with doing his app right then). We have a phone appt. tomorrow to complete the application. Who knew? They must receive huge commissions for opening CC accounts.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
YESSSSSSSS! SO now has an Ink Plus. That should help get him on board. [I filled out the application for SO, emailed it to the bus. banker and when we had phone appt. the only question he asked was to verify annual income and "what do you think your gross receipts will be?" He did ask about fictitious name statement and when SO said not filed yet banker said we'll just put it in under your name. Of course SO got 1.5 times the CL I got on my UA Exp Bus card]

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
@Annie H. I suggest you NOT have them call recon if he doesn't get it immediately. In my experience with Chase, waiting often means an easy approval and recon often means getting raked over the coals for too many inquiries. You can always call recon if denied.

Also, if you apply at a bank and recon denies it, the bank may be able to request a third special recon. They did this for me and that was how I finally got the Bold. When I applied for the Plus, I just waited and got it within a few days. My daughter's approval for Ink - her first bus card - took at least two weeks.

It may help if you are already a Chase customer - we have accounts at Chase as well as a safety dep box - so my experience may not be typical if you are not a Chase customer. Good luck.

Update @Annie H. - I apparently posted before seeing your latest, but I will leave it for others who may be new at Chase bus card apps. Congrats!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
@Annie H. I suggest you NOT have them call recon if he doesn't get it immediately. In my experience with Chase, waiting often means an easy approval and recon often means getting raked over the coals for too many inquiries. You can always call recon if denied.

It may help if you are already a Chase customer - we have accounts at Chase as well as a safety dep box - so my experience may not be typical if you are not a Chase customer. Good luck.

Update @Annie H. - I apparently posted before seeing your latest, but I will leave it for others who may be new at Chase bus card apps. Congrats!
Thanks, Elaine. I'm still trying to make sense of all of this and as far as I can figure out YMMV although for some reason SO, with identical credit stats to mine, seems to get better targeted offers and instant approvals. This was a very interesting process for us. Very soft sell at the end for a business account "in the future" or a LOC. It really seemed as though rep was not intimately familiar with the process as though he mostly knew about the card and benefits but was NOT used to "manually" doing an application--I just assumed he could key in the same info I could online but he said no-- and will have to do a separate process to add me as employee.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
...I just assumed he could key in the same info I could online but he said no-- and will have to do a separate process to add me as AU.
When we applied for my H's first Chase Bus card, I went through the online app, printed it out page by page, and answered all the questions, so we'd be prepared when we actually applied at the bank. But the app the banker puled up did not match the app I pulled up, specifically the banker's app just asked if the business made between a and b, b and c, etc. He was not asked to name the figure the business made. The online app I had reviewed asked for an exact number. This worked to our advantage.

As for figuring our why one gets an offer the other doesn't, we have that all the time with Barclay's. In the last 18 months, they twice offered me 15,000 points for three months of $750 spend, but my H, who got the card at the same time and uses it as much as I do/did, has never been offered this deal. Just one of those things.