Apple Watch

Fuerza

Level 2 Member
I want to buy an Apple Watch.

My wife has given me the green light. I want the stainless steel model in all black. These retail at $1,099.00 at the Apple Store. Deals on this model can be had on eBay for less. I put in a best offer on a "new in the box" for $800.00 the seller countered at $999.00. The same seller has a no reserve auction and I'm currently the high bidder. I've already contacted the seller and told them my max bid will be the same as my previous offer. I fully expect them to upbid me so that I lose.

At this point I'm wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. The Apple event is in 9 days and I'm thinking Apple will release a 2nd gen model Apple watch. I figure if I'm going to spend a $G I might as well get the latest and greatest.

I'm wondering what your guys thoughts are. Buy direct from Apple or keep looking for deals? I could over the course of a month collect enough eBay gift cards to get my price down but I give up buyer protection from using a credit card. ie Citi Price rewind or AmEx Platinum extended coverage. Other avenues are buying Apple Store gift cards at Albertons or Walgreens with AmEx Blue Cash.

Thoughts?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'd wait the 9 days, it's not likely to cause you to lose out. My guess (pulled out of my arse) is that they won't release a watch, but will just announce OS2 for now, but who knows... if they do, that watch today is going to drop in value.

Regarding the buyer protection... I tend to drop it, though I do have it on my current Mac, that is only because it was a biz purchase and cleaner that way. All my appliances/ big ticket items are on giftcards. The reason I don't value buyer protection highly is that it only covers certain specific events, its not a blanket coverage - spill a coffee on your mac/ watch, and you are screwed.. :)

With that in mind, the price you are paying (spread between discount and full price) is only covering a small risk profile, and while it might well save you one day, my gut says overall its not worth it.

My big 'thing' about MSRP deals is that there must be two channels to attack:

1. purchase channel: discounted or rebated (OBC/INK/other..) giftcards
2. sales channel: coupons/portals etc that are product specific.

The sales channel is tough, because apple tends to not kick back portal rewards, but they do have some discounts available for certain people, students, certain employees, etc... I wonder if that applies to the watch?

Failing that, you've got eBay, which is probably 1.2%, but also, if you got lucky perhaps up to 10% back in eBay bucks.. it might be a good play if there is a buy it now option that coincides with that.

Lastly, BestBuy.. but they don't have your model...

It would be neat if you are opted in for eBay bucks and their bonus offers if you could extend a buy it now offer that coincided with a bonus day, that would allow greater purchasing power.

madage

Level 2 Member
Assuming you have or can get a Discover it w/ 2x cash back promo:
Combine Apple GCs purchased with OBC (5% + gas rewards?) with Discover Deals 2x cash back (5% now, 5% later) for 15% cash back, total. Discover is the only portal that pays 5% on for Apple.

I've never seen Apple GCs at Home Depot/Lowe's/etc, but if they have them you can get 10% back on the GC purchase through September with Discover it (3Q 5% category is home improvement stores), which would yield 20% back after purchasing through Discover Deals.

Phantom707

Gold Member
I disagree to some extent regarding buyer protection. Amex cards, for example, cover a wider variety of damage claims than do most other credit cards. This includes accidental drops or spilling coffee, as @Matt gave a an example. The full terms, of course, depend upon the particular card that you use.

With that said, if you are able to get it at a significantly cheaper price via the gift card route, I would suggest looking into a third party warranty such as Square Trade. They often cover items purchased from eBay as well as other third party resellers (be sure to check the particular terms of the plan you want). This may still allow you to save money as well as get a better warranty. For what it's worth, my experiences with Square Trade have been great.

Fuerza

Level 2 Member
I didn't even think about Discover Deals. I've used them before when I purchased my iPhone 5 on the release date.

Timing on eBay bucks deal is critical too. I always get the 4x eBay bucks offers. TCB is pretty consistent with 1.2% payout

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
This includes accidental drops or spilling coffee
Fair enough, if they will cover it then that's worth something. For me, appliances were purchased with cards that had deeper discounts than apple, so I saved enough money to have them repaired at full cost if needed, but maybe if the spread is tighter using an Amex might be worth it here.

Phantom707

Gold Member
Fair enough, if they will cover it then that's worth something. For me, appliances were purchased with cards that had deeper discounts than apple, so I saved enough money to have them repaired at full cost if needed, but maybe if the spread is tighter using an Amex might be worth it here.
Likewise, I also gave the suggestion of purchasing a third party warranty using whatever money was saved.

In the case of a watch, which is almost necessarily in the way of daily harm, I think that this would be a smart move.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Likewise, I also gave the suggestion of purchasing a third party warranty using whatever money was saved.

In the case of a watch, which is almost necessarily in the way of daily harm, I think that this would be a smart move.
Depends on the type of harm. In this case, section 2 of the exclusions may prove to be a pain in the arse.
Code:
 https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/card-benefits/PlatinumCardfromAmericanExpress/PP-DOC-CCSG.pdf

Fuerza

Level 2 Member
Just an update. I did lose the no reserve auction, but the seller is offering me a second chance at $775 plus $15 shipping. That's lowers a pretty solid deal if it's truly a brand new in the box watch as it's advertised.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update. I did lose the no reserve auction, but the seller is offering me a second chance at $775 plus $15 shipping. That's lowers a pretty solid deal if it's truly a brand new in the box watch as it's advertised.
Stay on target. Apple event tomorrow!

Greg S

Level 2 Member
I'd be shocked if they release a new watch, and if they release a new OS for the watch (likely) you will be able to download the new OS to the current watch model. I'm pretty conservative on MSing with Apple products, but I had no problem buying 5 Apple watches for resell this weekend.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to. I have a feeling they won't release a new watch till the spring. The seller only gave me 24 hours to accept...
It's a buyers market. He couldn't sell it. If you are going to buy and not wait, counter low. This way you might get him to say yes to a better price, or he may counter again with a middle ground, resetting the clock. Worst case, he says no, you don't see a new watch tomorrow, and you come back with an offer for his current ask.

Fuerza

Level 2 Member
Retail on these watches are $1099. $775+$15 seems pretty heavily discounted IMO. I'm not sure if this is possible but I could go through TCB and earn an additional 1.2% CB?

Once he offered me a second chance it doesn't give me the option to go lower. I either accept or let the counter offer expire. I'm not obligated.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I got one just in time for Mother's Day. Next on the agenda is to get the Milanese loop band, so I can dress it up when I want to.

If you have small kids, Fuerza, the look on their faces when they hear a familiar voice coming out of your watch will be priceless.

smittytabb

Staff member
Quick question, just to verify, will any Apple watch work with Apple Pay if I have an iPhone 5S and update the software? Just trying to find the cheapest way to get in on the Apple Pay deals. Ideas?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
ANY Apple watch works with Apple pay--they all have the same software. The difference is that the sport models have aluminum cases while the higher cost ones have stainless steel. And, of course, the bands vary from the typical sport watch band to rose gold plated--if you're Beyonce.

Greg S

Level 2 Member
If anyone is looking for the watch, I have 5 to sell that will be heading to Amazon mid next week. I'll sell them for $375 + actual shipping. (if this isn't appropriate, please delete, I was just answering smittytabb's question).

Last edited:

sungchiahao

Level 2 Member
Quick question, just to verify, will any Apple watch work with Apple Pay if I have an iPhone 5S and update the software? Just trying to find the cheapest way to get in on the Apple Pay deals. Ideas?
Do I need both Apple Watch AND iPhone to work? Complete new to the Apple Pay thing as well... Trying to see if I can just get an Apple Watch for the discover deal.

madage

Level 2 Member
Do I need both Apple Watch AND iPhone to work? Complete new to the Apple Pay thing as well... Trying to see if I can just get an Apple Watch for the discover deal.
Only reason for watch is if you have iPhone 5, 5c or 5s, which don't have NFC radio. If you have iPhone 6 or newer, no watch needed.
Code:
http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/