APP to keep tabs on flight price

thedrills

Level 2 Member
I recently booked flights with SW and I wanted to know if the flight drops in price. I downloaded the "Low cost airfare watch" app and it does a search every 4 hrs for the price of my flight. If it drops to a specific level I will get a notification.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I use a custom rom with a hosts file that blocks ads at the system level. Looks like this app can't work unless I disable it, and there's no Pro version available. That's a shame.

thedrills

Level 2 Member
Check your flights. Thanks to the app I saw that my flights changed in price and I saved and additional 784 points

thedrills

Level 2 Member
Next step on the journey toward my filght. Got another notification and saved another 3k points. 24 hrs later the flights jumped 2k points each.

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the tip. I had laboriously checked much too often. Most recent R/T flight to LV, lucked out and saved about 4k for myself. Companion rate didn't change!;)

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I've contacted the dev to request features, but didn't get very far. I suggested he go to a paid model and just take it off the Play Store before the Eye of Southwest lands upon it.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Did u ask him about an app for ios?
No, as I don't have iOS. But I took his lackluster replies to indicate he wasn't working on the project as a whole anymore.
There is some prime space for a dev to come along and knock this one out of the park. I think it could be very successful as long as queries weren't run thru a centralized server.

thedrills

Level 2 Member
No, as I don't have iOS. But I took his lackluster replies to indicate he wasn't working on the project as a whole anymore.
There is some prime space for a dev to come along and knock this one out of the park. I think it could be very successful as long as queries weren't run thru a centralized server.
Completely agree. Im happy that I was able to help people by bringing this app to their attention. Ive been searching for an app like this for a while. Especially that SW has a great cancellation/change your flight policy. This app saved me over 10K points for my upcoming trip.
Now if theres only someone who can make an app to auto check me into my flight without having to run a script all night on my computer (which I cant do at the time I need to check in)

nicnac

Level 2 Member
The only issue with this app is that you can't search within a day. Say that you are booked for an evening flight after work for 8k, and that same day the 5:30am flight becomes 5k...The app will constantly remind you that there is a cheaper flight, resulting in you disabling that alert.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
The only issue with this app is that you can't search within a day. Say that you are booked for an evening flight after work for 8k, and that same day the 5:30am flight becomes 5k...The app will constantly remind you that there is a cheaper flight, resulting in you disabling that alert.
What do you mean by can't search within a day?

nicnac

Level 2 Member
The app searches the day, so if there are 10 flights and 9 of them are 8k each, but the 5am flight is 4k, the app will return 4k. Price alert will go off saying "cheaper fare" you'll click on it and see its the 5am flight. The price alert will continue to go off every 4 hours because thats what it does, and you'll end up disabling that alert.
I'm sure the guy's crawler just searches their low fare calendar (which returns the lowest fare that day). Adding in the complexity to search specific fares within a day would increase his processing and searches by 10x (assuming 10 flights a day)