Anyone used this type of snorkel?

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
I was in Hawaii and noticed a bunch of Japanese tourists had these new-fangled snorkels. Apparently they are from Europe and only ~40 EUR in many places there. Of course the grey market ones in the US are 2X that, but they should come down once they hit Costco etc.

Has anyone tried them? They have really good Amazon reviews, but some of that could be astro turfing. Two negatives is it looks like they are only for surface snorkeling and they are pretty big so they take up a lot of luggage space.

smittytabb

Staff member
I was in Hawaii and noticed a bunch of Japanese tourists had these new-fangled snorkels. Apparently they are from Europe and only ~40 EUR in many places there. Of course the grey market ones in the US are 2X that, but they should come down once they hit Costco etc.

Has anyone tried them? They have really good Amazon reviews, but some of that could be astro turfing. Two negatives is it looks like they are only for surface snorkeling and they are pretty big so they take up a lot of luggage space.
Wow, haven't seen these. Love to snorkel so find this fairly interesting. Looks like they are different. Do you breathe through your nose rather than mouth?

SC Trojan

Level 2 Member
Yes, apparently you can breathe through your mouth or nose.

I have to say it looks quite strange, almost like something out of a sci-fi movie. Could be good if it works, but it also looks sort of fragile, so packing it up and such may be an issue.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I've never seen one of these in the wild. But before I learned how to dive and how to clear my mask easily, leakage was super annoying when I snorkeled. If this limits that, I would think it might be pretty popular.