Anybody got group legal insurance from employer?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

I was looking at the option of group legal insurance at my new employer. My other colleague and I were discussing this. He's going through separation and he said it *may* help him to pay his attorney fees. You pay $300 flat fee annually.

Did anyone avail this option? Would this help if you are considering properties and tax help?

Thanks

In general I don't think these programs are really "insurance," they just let you meet with an attorney to help you with simple stuff like traffic tickets, landlord-tenant disputes, etc. I do not think such insurance would help you with complicated tax or real estate issues. My university ran a "legal help" program that was basically office hours with an attorney twice a week. People seemed happy with the help but they didn't draft motions or anything like that, just consulted with people about their options.

Note that I'm not a lawyer, and I'm definitely not your lawyer, so treat accordingly.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I have found that most legal "insurance" programs are not a good value. If they offer a pool of attorneys to help you, the pool is generally not the best and you will still have to pay a significant amount to get real representation.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
In general I don't think these programs are really "insurance," they just let you meet with an attorney to help you with simple stuff like traffic tickets, landlord-tenant disputes, etc. I do not think such insurance would help you with complicated tax or real estate issues. My university ran a "legal help" program that was basically office hours with an attorney twice a week. People seemed happy with the help but they didn't draft motions or anything like that, just consulted with people about their options.

Note that I'm not a lawyer, and I'm definitely not your lawyer, so treat accordingly.
I have found that most legal "insurance" programs are not a good value. If they offer a pool of attorneys to help you, the pool is generally not the best and you will still have to pay a significant amount to get real representation.
Thanks for letting me know. Important thing you mentioned is that they DO NOT draft motions, just consultations....this won't help me at all. Good that I haven't invested in it.