Any trick to get guess pass at the airport

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Sending off my mom for an international trip from ORD. She's traveling by herself for the first time. Ideally, I just wanted to be there up until the gate where she boards the flight. I don't see very many DPs on successful approval of guest pass at the airports.

Does anyone know how to get one?

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I don't think this is difficult. You have to go to the check-in desk and make the request. I've done this for a disabled relative years ago (post 9/11) but I don't think it's different now.

Explain that she is elderly and has never travelled on a plane by herself and has anxiety.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Another approach is to buy a refundable ticket for much later in the day (does not need to be same flight or airline), go to gate with mom, and refund ticket.

Avoids conversation with airport people who don't know pass process.

madage

Level 2 Member
Slightly different situation, but I had zero problems getting a gate pass when putting my child on a flight as an unaccompanied minor. I would be surprised if any check-in agent wasn't aware of the procedure for issuing a gate pass.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
These are all encouraging DPs. I tried to get a gate pass in the past but the agents were reluctant then. Since this is an international flight, I was thinking if they would be stricter. But I will give it a shot and see if I get lucky this time....

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Asked for a gate pass for my wife and I to put my father in law on a plane to China. Agent gave us
tickets to fly stand by on another flight.

Last edited: