Any Recommendations for Simm Cards in Australia?

steventravel

Level 2 Member
Looking to be in Australia for 2 weeks starting November 20th.

Then again next July. Wondering if anyone had a good recommendation on a Simm Card company?

Would like data and voice while I am there.

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
I know this is too late for your post, but I haven't been using this forum much, mainly travelcodex. Anyways, I went to Australia for a month last August and a couple of my friends live there and said the following : 'I'd recommend getting a Telstra sim card when you get here, they have the best reception. Telstra is usually a little bit more expensive but you're likely to get way better coverage around australia. I believe Telstra owns all the cell towers and the other companies just rent them.'

I think I paid $50 AUD for like 5 gigs of data and a bunch of 'points' for texts and calls. I still had some left over after my month long trip and my reception/internet speed was a lot better than friends that had other companies. It was a bit more expensive, but definitely worth it IMO.

steventravel

Level 2 Member
I head rumors that Telstra was the best down there. We went with http://www.optus.com.au/ I read that it was the 2nd best, when we went they had a kiosk right in the Airport to make it simple. I think they gave us 5 Gigs for $15 AUD, it was a one off special they had going on. I think normal price was $25 AUD

Optus worked with fast speed and good coverage for all of Sydney, and almost all of Tazmania. Heard that Telstra has maybe one extra tower there they don't share.

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
I head rumors that Telstra was the best down there. We went with http://www.optus.com.au/ I read that it was the 2nd best, when we went they had a kiosk right in the Airport to make it simple. I think they gave us 5 Gigs for $15 AUD, it was a one off special they had going on. I think normal price was $25 AUD

Optus worked with fast speed and good coverage for all of Sydney, and almost all of Tazmania. Heard that Telstra has maybe one extra tower there they don't share.
yeah my friends live in Hobart, so that's what they suggested. I'm sure if you stay in the big cities it is not much different, but there was a noticeable difference in Uluruu and Daintree Rainforest. Maybe it wasn't $50, i kind of forget. But yeah, I got mine at the Sydney airport too while I was waiting to catch my flight to Tassie