Antarctica -- Penguins!!

italdesign

Level 2 Member
The problem I encountered with Avios is that most of the locations did not show up in Argentina that I planned on going to (Mendoza, Ushuaia, and Salta). It looks like Chile and other countries are fine though. Maybe you can do Argentina if you call in. Also, I didn't have any Avios at the time, only SPG points that transferred to LAN KMs.
I can pull up Mendoza and Salta on BA.com now. Ushuaia still no. Like you said, calling might work.

smittytabb

Staff member
I can pull up Mendoza and Salta on BA.com now. Ushuaia still no. Like you said, calling might work.
Was just in Argentina. Mendoza airport is currently closed for remodeling. Or at least the sign I saw at the domestic airport in BsAs said it was.

smittytabb

Staff member
Ok penguin people, since you asked, I've seen penguins on all four continents where they dwell in the Southern Hemisphere. Recently I saw Magellanic penguins in Chile. I've also seen:

King penguins
Adelie penguins
Chinstrap penguins
Gentoo penguins
Galápagos penguins
African penguins
Macaroni penguins
Southern Rockhopper penguins
Fiordland penguins
Humboldt penguins

Happy birding!

smittytabb

Staff member
Damn it, I wrote up a long reply but I was timed out. To sum up what I wrote before it got deleted:

I am going to Antarctica during Xmas of 2017. I got interested a few years ago, especially after reading Endurance, and had a hankering to book it. My research led me to Quark Expeditions and I waited for one of their 'sales.' I got $3,000 off and had to only pay a 5% deposit, but also opted for camping and kayaking, which added another $1K to the trip. The cruise will be 12 days and cost $7,500 but since I booked it in June or July, I have 15 months to save up (~$400/mo). Since I just finished grad school, and paid my way through it, I am used to having my paycheck disappear so I am excited to do it. All of the flights will be paid for with points and I will combine it with a trip to Iguazu Falls (SPG for Sheraton there) and somewhere else in South America. Hopefully i'll be able to post a trip report in 14 months or so!
Quark is amazing and a great choice. Did my Antarctica, South Georgia and Falklands excursion with them a few years ago.