Ann Arbor DO - July 18/19

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
Is anyone else going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend for the DO?

Drew from Travelisfree is presenting Saturday and Tahsir is presenting Sunday.

I just signed up last minute since didn't have any plans for this weekend, but hoping to maybe meet some new folks there.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
MilesAddict, there is a thread titled A2DO. So far it looks like just three of us from here will be there. Look forward to meeting you.

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
Well, that's embarrassing. I looked, but didn't realize that A2DO was the same thing. Sigh. Thanks for reaching out...looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
No need to be embarrassed! With so many threads and so many abbreviations, we all start duplicate threads now and then. Please come and introduce yourself - and I'll keep my eye out for someone who looks like a miles addict ;) !

mmargel

Level 2 Member
How was this years DO? I was disappointed it was the same weekend as the advanced FTU in Chicago. I had been to the previous 2 Ann Arbor Dos and couldn't do (no pun intended) both. I am looking forward to next year in Ann Arbor

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
I, for one, had a blast at the Ann Arbor Do and really learned a lot. I've done Chicago Seminars in the past as well as other non-official dinners/get togethers, but I really appreciated all of the tips and tricks being shared at A2DO. The general level of expertise in the room was humbling.

mmargel

Level 2 Member
I, for one, had a blast at the Ann Arbor Do and really learned a lot. I've done Chicago Seminars in the past as well as other non-official dinners/get togethers, but I really appreciated all of the tips and tricks being shared at A2DO. The general level of expertise in the room was humbling.
That has been my experience in the past. I just wasn't sure how good the "advanced" FTU would be so I took a shot. The A2DO is the perfect size for one on one and small group interaction. I don't want to say too much about it or Bikeguy will need a still larger venue :)

MilesAddict

Level 2 Member
I think we actually were at a larger venue this year. There were about 60 participants....just a really good mix. How was FTU Advanced? If I had realized ahead of time that I would be around that weekend I probably would have bought a ticket.

mmargel

Level 2 Member
I enjoyed it. The was much discussion about MS but also about the various airlines, alliances and how best to use awards. It was fun to have Ben Schlappig around so much. He really is so outgoing, knowledgeable and approachable. As with any of these gatherings, I made new friends and expanded my circle of point/miles addicts. While called advanced, there was still some basic discussions but there were opportunities for more advanced discussions in what was labeled the "help" rooms. Having it limited to 120 people made it much nicer that the larger DOs.

Fishing4Deals

Level 2 Member
Was there any hands on practice with booking award tickets offered at FTUA? I too enjoyed the presentations and meeting folks in Ann Arbor.

mmargel

Level 2 Member
There was some discussion about booking and using expertflyer to look for seats. They didn't do the typical "let's do a sample award booking" like you have seen in past DOs.
The was some interesting discussion regarding when space is available. Last minute flexibility is a great benefit if you can do it. So book whatever you can and then wait.(and hope?) Seats are released at various times then more if selling is unsuccessful. Here are some of my notes:

Airline Release space

CX 2 wks, sell down to 3. 2 days, sell down to 1

LH 2 wks out sell down to 5, 3-4 days, sell down to 3-4

IB U9 or U0 Seemingly alll or nothing, day by day

BA 4-5 seats w/i 2 weeks. varies by routing

Singapore - Release 11 months in advance - 2 suites class. Can waitlist.

JAL - No real logic. Last seat available on award

Austrian - 90 days out for business, and last minute great (2-3 seats)

Air Berlin - Miami, NY, Chicago, Fort Myers - 1-2 seats in advance, most left within a week

FinnAir- NY - No logic

Etihad- 2 F from IAD, sometimes 2 from JFK. good at last minute

Qatar - 4 J per flight, best at PHL. Good at last minute.

Air Tahiti Nui - LAX to Paris - No fuel surcharge

Thai - Europe to BKK -- all but 1 or 2 F or J seats last minute - FRA, CDG

Turkish - Inconsistent. Most from IAH. In advance, better. Not great JFK.

Air China - last minute no space but good before hand. IAH, SFO, LAX good, IAD OK

Alitalia - Last minute, 2 wks space, book through DL

mmargel

Level 2 Member
Is anyone else going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend for the DO?

Drew from Travelisfree is presenting Saturday and Tahsir is presenting Sunday.

I just signed up last minute since didn't have any plans for this weekend, but hoping to maybe meet some new folks there.

2015 Ann Arbor DO

I will be attending and recommend to anyone who can make it. This is a really well run event. The new venue means you don't have to fight with the Ann Arbor Art Fair and so far it is now open to all, due to the extra space.