Amtrak

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
My wife and I have 85000 Amtrak Rewards points. Any suggestions on how to best use these? It seems foolish to waste on local Keystone trains. We go to PHL and NYP often but the fares are so cheap that we think we should find a big trip.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Thanks enough to do a roundtrip cross country from SFO/LAX-NYC on the cheaper fare days. Takes about 4 days each way. Id wait for spring/summer/fall as opposed to winter, but I find them a lot of fun. You're allowed to drink your own alcohol you bring aboard in your room if thats something you care about...

bayguy

Level 2 Member
We did SFO-ORD(Chicago) return in Family Bedroom last December. It was lots of fun and we enjoyed a lot(except for food which is tough for vegetarians). I would do this all over again but one way and in Summer.

smjd

Level 2 Member
Is it actually bearable to be on a train for that long? Is there good scenery to look at outside?

The 8 hour trip from Glasgow to London was worse than flying, imo, but I enjoyed a 3 hour train ride from London to Manchester.

bayguy

Level 2 Member
Have your family, get some games, load content on iPad and most important get your liquor, you will enjoy.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Guess we will have to price out one of the nice itineraries and see how many points it costs. I don't mind overpaying since our normal Amtrak travel (MID-PHL or NYP) is so cheap for seniors that it's a waste to use points.