Amex Premier Rewards Gold Annual Fee? Pay or Nah?

craig d

My annual fee is coming up on this card and I don't really use it too much other than for Amex offers. I know it's essentially only 95 with the airline credit, but I don't really see myself using the card other than for the Amex offers for reselling and GC arbitrage. I'm not really trying to pay too many annual fee's on cards and will have a handful I am paying (if I can't talk my way out of them) already, but I do only have two Amex cards that get Amex offers. I just don't know if it is worth it or not. And maybe I can talk the fee down, but I haven't looked at data points of successes yet for this one.

Thoughts? Is 95 worth a year of Amex offers?

HUCAwin

Level 2 Member
Well, in my personal case I have had the card for just six months or so. I am planning on keeping it the second year and possibly canceling the third year. Reasoning being my annual fee was waived the first year and I'll get three years of the $100 airline credits while only paying $195 one time. Then I profit $100 in airline credits and my 50,000 plus points and whatever in offers.

I then would get a normal no fee amex everyday card to keep my points and offers. Maybe get the plat card during a good offer then too to continue building points if I needed to. For me personally I do not think the fee is worth it over a long term. I'd rather have the CSP or INK and a Citi TY point card for $95 each over the $200 a year on the PRG. That is just me, and where I find value in points though. I get more value out of other programs so that is why I personal chose this.

Jonny Five

Level 2 Member
Amex cards are literally the easiest cards to justify keeping or not, due to the amex offers. Simply track how much you've made on offers over the last year. If it's more than your AF, then there is absolutely no reason to cancel the card unless you're making room for another amex card.

craig d

The unfortunate thing is I never really started taking advantage of them until recently. But I forsee using them more heavily this year so I'll probably try to get a retention offer on it but not cancel. Thanks for all the thoughts

CuddlyFlyer

Also, you can call Amex and ask if there are any retention offers available to you. Sometimes that helps you make a decision on the keep/cancel dilemma.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
My annual fee is due to be paid on the 11th of this month. i already called once asking to waive and no go. i have over 100K points on it, so not sure where to move the points or how to deal with it. would appreciate some advice. What do you say to have them waive the fee? i would like to keep it. i also have amex blue fee free and amex business.

would appreciate the help. thanks

jleey98

Level 2 Member
My annual fee is due to be paid on the 11th of this month. i already called once asking to waive and no go. i have over 100K points on it, so not sure where to move the points or how to deal with it. would appreciate some advice. What do you say to have them waive the fee? i would like to keep it. i also have amex blue fee free and amex business.

would appreciate the help. thanks
I'd recommend keeping it. Retention offers are usually generated by the computer and if nothing is showing up on your account, there's not really much you can do to get the computer to give you one. Occasionally, if you spend an inordinate amount of time pleading your case (saying that "your friend" got one or if you put a lot of money on the card, saying that you're a high value customer), a supervisor can give you a courtesy credit but it won't amount to much - $25 or so. It's completely at their judgment but I spent 45 minutes on the phone going back and forth on an SPG card, complaining about the increase, saying that I spent a ton of money on the card, etc. and I wound up with a small credit to offset the increased annual fee.

The reason I'd recommend keeping it is 1) to keep your points alive (unless your amex business card is an MR earning card), 2) the $100 statement credit will offset more than half the fee, and 3) you can probably find enough Amex offers over the course of the year to offset the rest (it's easy with the annual fee cards that are ~$100 but it's much more difficult to say with a Platinum card). Otherwise, apply for an Amex Everyday card (no annual fee) and you can keep your points alive indefinitely.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
I'd recommend keeping it. Retention offers are usually generated by the computer and if nothing is showing up on your account, there's not really much you can do to get the computer to give you one. Occasionally, if you spend an inordinate amount of time pleading your case (saying that "your friend" got one or if you put a lot of money on the card, saying that you're a high value customer), a supervisor can give you a courtesy credit but it won't amount to much - $25 or so. It's completely at their judgment but I spent 45 minutes on the phone going back and forth on an SPG card, complaining about the increase, saying that I spent a ton of money on the card, etc. and I wound up with a small credit to offset the increased annual fee.

The reason I'd recommend keeping it is 1) to keep your points alive (unless your amex business card is an MR earning card), 2) the $100 statement credit will offset more than half the fee, and 3) you can probably find enough Amex offers over the course of the year to offset the rest (it's easy with the annual fee cards that are ~$100 but it's much more difficult to say with a Platinum card). Otherwise, apply for an Amex Everyday card (no annual fee) and you can keep your points alive indefinitely.
thanks. i guess i will try again tomorrow, but either way keep this card. i already cashed in $175 worth of cash back only on the offers not counting in the bag fee which i actually used.

Burgertm

Level 2 Member
If you just want to keep your membership rewards alive, get the Everyday card. It is free and your points will be available there.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It's possible that you may get offers that are not a waiving of the fee, but have value, nevertheless. Like an extra 5K points for $2K spend, or some such. It also seems, with Amex, that the retention offers don't pop up till right before the AF is due.

FWIW, I wouldn't ask for the fee to be waived. I'd say that the card has been a good one to have, but I'm weighing dropping it d/t the fee, and would like to know if there are any retention offers available.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
It's possible that you may get offers that are not a waiving of the fee, but have value, nevertheless. Like an extra 5K points for $2K spend, or some such. It also seems, with Amex, that the retention offers don't pop up till right before the AF is due.

FWIW, I wouldn't ask for the fee to be waived. I'd say that the card has been a good one to have, but I'm weighing dropping it d/t the fee, and would like to know if there are any retention offers available.
thank you. will do exactly that. thanks

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It always helps to be businesslike when dealing with CSRs. They get enough emotional, cranky people as it is.

After all, what you are proposing IS a business deal: give me a bonus of some sort, and I'll pay the fee to keep using your CC for another year.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
called last night for a totally different reason. while on the phone asked the rep if there were any retention offers on my account. they transferred me to cancellation who offered me fee free year for 20K in point, then spend $xxxx in x months (don't remember the details but numbers were not high) and they would credit my account for 8000 points, so it would still cost me 12k in points. i think they are worth more than that, so i asked if there was anything else and he said i could get a credit for $75 against my fee instead. i took him up on that offer.

I was very relaxed and pleasant. maybe that helped. btw, both reps were in the US.

thank you all for your help.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Well done, Saphira! It's nice to get confirmation that they appreciate your business, isn't it?