Amex Plat Biz Tuition?

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Looking at getting an Amex Plat Business card to pay 30K in college tuition bills. Can you pay a business card from your personal account or do you move personal money to the business account to pay it?

Would there be a better card to put the spend on? From today thru next Aug we will have a total of about 65k in tuition to pay without fees and another 30k that can be put on a card but incurs a 2.25% fee. Not sure it makes sense to pay the fee. We each have a CSR...which was the plan but now thinking there may be a better plan.

Thanks

atravels

Looking at getting an Amex Plat Business card to pay 30K in college tuition bills. Can you pay a business card from your personal account or do you move personal money to the business account to pay it?
There aren't restrictions that force you to pay a business card from a business account. You should be fine using a personal account.

As for what type of card to use for the tuition expense, are you trying to accumulate a certain type of points, are you trying to save for a particular award, or are you looking for cash back? Knowing your goal(s) would help decide what type of card might make the most sense.

Keep in mind that the AmEx cards have a once per lifetime earning opportunity for bonuses unless you get a specific targeted offer without such language.

With 30K in upcoming spend, you might benefit more by looking at cards that have higher than normal sign up bonuses, apply for those cards that match your goals, and use the 30K to meet the minimum spend on those cards. You might be restricted by 5/24, but since you both qualified for CSR, you may still be in a position to take advantage of current attractive Chase offers.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
The only goal we have is either New Zealand or Thailand next May for four people. Although,it's probably too late to book business seat miles to NZ. Between us we have over a million AA miles and 500k UR points. We both just got the Hyatt cards. I am over 5/24 but hubs is not. I'll drop under next March. I already have five personal Chase whereas he has three. My other Chase are hotel cards as are his. The only Amex card I have is SPG and he has an AA Amex. I wasn't worried about the Plat bonus since it's a biz card. The bonus for biz plat is 75k mikes. There are no other cards I really want as I pretty much have stopped MS'ing within the last year.

MikeT

worth it. I pay my college tuition with credit cards to meet Minimum spend, but thats it. Have a 2.3% processing fee I have to eat but worth it as i'm now 31/24. Gonna be sad when I graduate and have to get more creative to meet minimum spend. You should look into how your college handles tuition. I know you said you don't do M.S., but some colleges will let you use a gift card (put it in under debit card) and avoid a fee. or some will let you pay in money orders, but that might draw attention. I only do the G.C. route sometimes, not M.O..

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
w You should look into how your college handles tuition. I know you said you don't do M.S., but some colleges will let you use a gift card (put it in under debit card) and avoid a fee. ..
Bought a Visa GC for the 3X fuel rewards yesterday and posted the $500 to the tuition. Worked fine. Only did it as a test since I can charge the whole amount on card without fees. But! Good to know it works if I ever feel the MS need again!