Amex Plat Ameriprise and Amex Plat: Signup for both possible?

rb2k

Level 2 Member
I have the Ameriprise version of the card.
From what I understand, they are different products and thus don't fall under the "one signup bonus per life" rule. I am however not 100% sure and just wanted to see if anyone could confirm? :)

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I'm wondering in the opposite direction. Have the regular personal Platinum at the moment, but would like to get the Ameriprise version. A datapoint on FT seems to indicate this resulted in the applicant *not* getting the 25K bonus, which is strange given the one bonus per product lifetime rule. But perhaps the personal Plat and Ameriprise Plat are coding as being the same product?

Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23885296-post242.html

VRHunter

Level 2 Member

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I interpreted the post from DoC with:

It’s only bonus to get the sign up bonus on American Express personal cards once now and people have been targeted for 100,000 and 150,000 point offers. So it’s really a question of what you’d prefer
so if you sign up for the Ameriprise version then, you would be ineligible for any sign up bonuses issued direction from American Express. I'm not sure if a lot of people are keen to try Ameriprise then from AMEX to see if it works or not. Probably better to do AMEX then Ameriprise if wanting to keep Platinum for the long term

Walmero

Level 2 Member
Hi, any further disambiguation on this topic? The deadline for the Ameriprise bonus offer is approaching (I have never had any amex plat product)...

From what I gather, one will be free and clear to pick up the Ameriprise and get the bonus, then further down the road get another regular amex plat and also get the bonus on that plat? (or even throw in a mercedes plat in the mix and get bonus there). Can you hold both ameriprise version and amex version at same time? Missed the last round of 100-150k plats and wanted to keep options open for the future.

StrangeBrew

Walmero, did you bite the bullet on the Ameriprise product? I have the regular Platinum personal & business, but would like another product for the $200/airline credit. AF is waived due to military benefits :) Looking for recent data points on signup bonus for those with existing Platinum... Thx

Walmero

Level 2 Member
Nope... non MS activities got in the way... Figured I would just wait for straight up plat offers again.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up the Ameriprise (well wife did and I AU'd myself) when discussing it on Twitter DOC seemed to think that they were different products and should allow for sign up..

But in your case @StrangeBrew I think that the $200 is always going to be there.. the issue (I believe) is signup bonus qualification. IE you can get any card many times, but not the signup bonus?

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I have my finger on the trigger-ok, just the mouse-applying for the 100k Platinum. I did not get the Ameriprise, but my wife did, so the question of regular Plat following Ameriprise is front and center for us.

I read through the last few months of the FT Ameripirse thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1296666-ameriprise-amex-platinum-fee-free-one-year-25-000-point-bonus-6-30-2015-a.html

Posts #339, 364 and 384 each report prior cancelled regular Platinum, followed by successful Amerise app with full benefits (including sign-up bonus). I did not see anything on getting a regular Plat following an Ameriprise Plat, nor on apps by current holders of another Plat (like my wife). The wiki for that thread opines with no stated authority that they are different products.

Anyone know or have an educated guess on how long the 100k will be up?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I have my finger on the trigger-ok, just the mouse-applying for the 100k Platinum. I did not get the Ameriprise, but my wife did, so the question of regular Plat following Ameriprise is front and center for us.

I read through the last few months of the FT Ameripirse thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1296666-ameriprise-amex-platinum-fee-free-one-year-25-000-point-bonus-6-30-2015-a.html

Posts #339, 364 and 384 each report prior cancelled regular Platinum, followed by successful Amerise app with full benefits (including sign-up bonus). I did not see anything on getting a regular Plat following an Ameriprise Plat, nor on apps by current holders of another Plat (like my wife). The wiki for that thread opines with no stated authority that they are different products.

Anyone know or have an educated guess on how long the 100k will be up?
Frankly I've not followed any of the threads very closely, but was under the impression that it was per person not per family anyway?

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I believe it is per person-I was thinking of my wife going back for the vanilla platinum.

Regretably, I did not get an Amex offer on card match. Other than calling and begging, does anyone know how to bring up the 100k Platinum offer?

StrangeBrew

@Mountain Trader, I cannot confirm the 100K offer comes up this way, but the incognito/private browsing trick will usually bring up better than public offers with enough persistence.

I believe it is per person-I was thinking of my wife going back for the vanilla platinum.

Regretably, I did not get an Amex offer on card match. Other than calling and begging, does anyone know how to bring up the 100k Platinum offer?

SOC 787

Flight Club
AFAiK, the 100k plat offers are highly targeted (usually via mail)... and dont randomly pop up by using incognito windows etc.

as far as the OP's Q, from what I've read and gathered in my research these 2 are considered diff products. tho its all anecdotal at this point since I havent had a chance to apply for em both.

however, worst case, if you apply for the Ameriprise first and then later apply for the reg plat, you should atleast get the diff in bonus MRs. for ex: if the reg plat was offering 100k, you should be able to get AMEX to honor 75k for it (100k - 25k from Ameriprise)
and if you apply for the reg plat first and the ameriprise the next yr, even if you dont get 25k MRs you'll atleast get a free yr of plat bennies incld $200 airfare creds for yr 2.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Clearing browsers and using incognito are often useful for card apps. I used these across the board last month when applying for the UA Explorer and B of A AS cards, all with statement credit.

In the case of the 100k Amex Platinum offer, the only avenues I have seen are targeted offers, and entering personal info at Card Match on creditcards.com. Since both of these by definition require personal info, I doubt clearing history/cookies will make a difference.

If anyone comes up with an alternative, I would be quite grateful.

lz80521

Level 2.5 Member
If I cancelled Ameriprise Plat several months ago, can I still get approved for the same card? I tried to search for the answer in T&C but couldn't find any related clues.

I don't care about the bonus, but interested in the delta club access and $200 annual credit. Any datapoints appreciated!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If I cancelled Ameriprise Plat several months ago, can I still get approved for the same card? I tried to search for the answer in T&C but couldn't find any related clues.

I don't care about the bonus, but interested in the delta club access and $200 annual credit. Any datapoints appreciated!
I'm not sure, but I wonder if you could just call them up and ask to re-open it if bonus isn't an issue?

SOC 787

Flight Club
you should be able to apply for it again, the only Q or rather criteria would be your creditworthiness @lz80521

@Matt - Its prolly too late to reopen, dont think I've ever heard of anyone re-opening cards past 60 days max. not to mention, he'd prolly want another $200 in creds ;)

adam0619

Level 2 Member
you should be able to apply for it again, the only Q or rather criteria would be your creditworthiness @lz80521
Haven't done it myself, but I know someone who successfully applied for the card again approx. 6-8 months after he canceled the Ameriprise.

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
This is a late datapoint since the 25K signup bonus for the Ameriprise Plat is currently gone.
But my wife had the regular personal Plat then signed up for the Amerirprise Plat and got the 25K signup bonus after spending $3K.
So this seems to indicate they are considered different products.

It would be good to know going forward whether AmEx allows repeatedly getting this Ameriprise version with the first year annual fee waived.
For me, it's a nice place to keep MRs alive with and no annual fee the first year.

lz80521

Level 2.5 Member
Finally got chance to report back about my churning experience:

- 1st Ameriprise Plat approved in 03/2014, cancelled in 03/2015 (already got 200 airline credit for 2015).
- 2nd Ameriprise Plat approved in 07/2015, no AF charged (T&C also states explicitly no AF in 1st yr), got another 200 airline credit for 2015. Plan to cancel 2nd in 06/2016.
- Apply for 3rd Ameriprise Plat in 07/2016 if this version still exist at that time.

This churning process seems pretty good. Essentially I get 400 airline credit per calendar year and also free access to delta club and centurion lounge.

bgh10788

Level 2 Member
This is a late datapoint since the 25K signup bonus for the Ameriprise Plat is currently gone.
But my wife had the regular personal Plat then signed up for the Amerirprise Plat and got the 25K signup bonus after spending $3K.
So this seems to indicate they are considered different products.

It would be good to know going forward whether AmEx allows repeatedly getting this Ameriprise version with the first year annual fee waived.
For me, it's a nice place to keep MRs alive with and no annual fee the first year.
Good to know. I have a platinum card that is coming due for an annual fee with authorized users in the next couple months and was trying to figure out a way to keep my MR alive. Any idea how frequently the 25K offer comes around?